Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refinance loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Refinance loan?

Hello all,

I'm in a bit of a situation here and can't decide what I would rather do. First off, I have a baby on the way and this is why I am thinking about a few decisions here. 

My scores are pretty solid between 707-720 across the board. Income is around $35k.

I do have a car loan that has a remaining balance of $12,300 at 4.2% interest, a 0% CC with $2,500 on and another card with $1,600 on (unsure of interest but closer to 20%). I do have $7k in the bank.

Option A: Just keep the $7k in my savings and pay down what I can and figure it out after my baby arrives.

Option B: pay down my car to around $5000 and refinance (rate can be down to )1.74%)just for the lower monthly but still pay more towards it each month.

Option C: Pay off both credit cards and use the rest towards my car, and also refinance and have it in the middle between option B and C.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Refinance loan?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all,

I'm in a bit of a situation here and can't decide what I would rather do. First off, I have a baby on the way and this is why I am thinking about a few decisions here. 

My scores are pretty solid between 707-720 across the board. Income is around $35k.

I do have a car loan that has a remaining balance of $12,300 at 4.2% interest, a 0% CC with $2,500 on and another card with $1,600 on (unsure of interest but closer to 20%). I do have $7k in the bank.

Option A: Just keep the $7k in my savings and pay down what I can and figure it out after my baby arrives.

Option B: pay down my car to around $5000 and refinance (rate can be down to )1.74%)just for the lower monthly but still pay more towards it each month.

Option C: Pay off both credit cards and use the rest towards my car, and also refinance and have it in the middle between option B and C.

You didn't mention your goal. Are they finances, FICO scores or other? That may be useful information for members to advise best course of action.

4.2% APR isn't too bad. After managing your revolving (CCs) accounts, I would imagine having reserves on hand would be beneficial?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

My apologies, main goal is to have the car paid off and gone quicker. I'm not too worried about a lower interest rate.  Figured maybe paying off my revolving accounts and leaving it all at 0 be a good option and work on the car, and later refinance. And second comes finances which goes along with a mix of all 3 accounts, scores I'm not worried about as I'm good with anything above 700 personally.

Message 3 of 6
thornback
Senior Contributor

I understand your desire to simplify your finances but I would not recommend depleting your savings to do so - especially with a baby on the way (congrats!). 

How much money do you think you can save before the baby arrives? 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well the girlfriend is due in May, we split all bills and utilities down the middle besides our own separate bills obviously. She has her own nest egg, for when she will be off work to help even everything.

I'm sure I could squeeze another $1500 ish, and now since stimulus got passed again that will be another $1400 for when that arrives. 

We like to be prepared on life so we have already stock piled diapers and wipes in all sizes and will get more of that before the baby is due from ourbaby shower, so that will help thepockets when the time comes. 

Message 5 of 6
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well the girlfriend is due in May, we split all bills and utilities down the middle besides our own separate bills obviously. She has her own nest egg, for when she will be off work to help even everything.

I'm sure I could squeeze another $1500 ish, and now since stimulus got passed again that will be another $1400 for when that arrives. 

We like to be prepared on life so we have already stock piled diapers and wipes in all sizes and will get more of that before the baby is due from ourbaby shower, so that will help thepockets when the time comes. 

Haha... I don't have kids so can't speak from experience, but some of the most consistently over-prepared people I know managed to be wholly unprepared for for the actualities of parenthood - through no fault of their own.  

My advice is to wait til after the baby is born.  Maybe just pay off your credit cards for now - that'll be two less payments and you'll be left with ~3K in savings.  

Deal with the auto loan paydown/refinance later once you know exactly what your situation looks like. 

Others may come along with better/different suggestions. 

Wishing you and your little family all the best!! 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.