cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relocating to the U.K - will we have enough money to get by for the first couple of months?! HELP!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Relocating to the U.K - will we have enough money to get by for the first couple of months?! HELP!

Hey everyone, 

I'm hoping someone can possibly help with a rather EXCITING yet STRESSFUL situation. My husband has been offered a fantastic job in the U.K, which would involve our whole family uprooting and relocating to the U.K from Wisconsin. We have decided that we will make the move around mid April, hoping I'll find a job there once we're settled with our kids (who are teenagers). 

We are trying to understand the difference in the tax systems and whether realistically we'll have enough to survive stress free for the first couple of months whilst all the settling in is taking place. Chris (my husband) will be earning around £40,000 pounds annually, which according to this tax calculator I found online will leave us with around £2540 a month. We're using a fraction of the family savings to pay for accomodation (rented), but we want to avoid using our savings if at all possible as we've been saving for years for the kids.  

My question therefore is, has anyone else here had a similar experience in the U.K and how did they find the adjusting to the currency to be? We know life in inner London is expensive, but we've done some research and feel Cambridge isn't as expensive. Realistically is it feasible for a family of 4 to survive on my husband's income alone until I find a job which should be by the end of May? Our rent is covered as I said, but is this enough? 

Thanks in advance guys! Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Relocating to the U.K - will we have enough money to get by for the first couple of months?! HEL

I've always dreamt of getting a job offer in the U.K. , specifically London, as I love visiting there and love the concept of being able to travel to so many different countries in such close proximity. So I definately envy you! I know from my experience with London that it is VERY expensive and I would think it would be rather hard to live with a family that size on just his wage alone. However, I am not familiar with the economics of Cambridge, I would suggest trying to secure a job before making the move if possible. As far as answering your question, we would probably need a little more information such as current savings, estimated expenses aside from relocating and rent, but I would think given a short period of time before securing a job once you've moved there, you should be fine.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Relocating to the U.K - will we have enough money to get by for the first couple of months?! HEL

I have no idea but I just wanted to wish you good luck and safe travels!
Message 3 of 7
tacpoly
Established Contributor

While Cambridge isn’t as expensive as London, it is not that much cheaper. It, like Oxford, has built-in demand for housing and a pool of people who can pay the prices. That said, 40,000 GBP is I believe the average salary in the UK or London (I can’t remember which), so it won’t be impossible to live off that. Your estimate seems roughly correct. (You should ask your husband’s company to help with these questions and housing search.)

Do you have a choice where to live or is it Cambridge or bust? The farther from the university the cheaper, obviously.

Will your husband be working for a college? Which one?
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sam Smiley Happy I also recently moved into southeast UK, not from as far as Wisconsin though! Hoping the move went great Smiley Happy Any tips after coming out of it?

Also-I found this tax calculator online, seems much smoother and faster than the one you posted. Maybe it will be of use to someone Smiley Tongue

http://salary-calculator.org.uk/

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've niticed that housing cost are very expensive in certain areas abroad. And I'm curious what's driving it, when income has pretty much been stagnate? I'm even talking about a few of the lesser develped Countries. Seems the last 5-10 year has been good overall for hosing market. lol

I of course have heard it's due to increased expats, as well as more developement. But wha happens when those jobs leave?

Good luck on your move, hope everything works out!

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP hasn't logged back into the site since the original post so closing and locking this thread.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.