tag
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

Re: Rent Payment

@Green456 wrote:

@MakingProgress wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@tcbofade wrote:

Eh.  Not anymore.  Once you get burned on a few bad checks, lots of landlords require money orders from everyone...even those who have done nothing wrong.

Well, it's been many years since I've rented, but that just seems ridiculous to make everyone go through the hassle & expense of getting a money order just because of a few bad apples who can't balance a checkbook.I would tell them: "You know what, I'll just stop by your office and pay the rent in cash", and then show up with the rent money - all in bags & bags of coins.

I have never understood people who say they will do this or actually do it.   

First of all you would rather spend more time doing this than just getting the money order, and then the person you hand it to usually isn't the one who makes the policy so you are just making more work for an underpaid peon rather then sending a message to the person in charge.

Also, coins may be legal tender for all debts public and privite that dosen't mean anyone has to accept it. 

I maybe wrong but my understanding is that it is illegal to deny payment made legal tender.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12772.htm

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 21 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it's inconvenient for them to accept whatever a person's rent is, all in Nickels, Dimes or Quarters. Then i do believe they have the right not to  accpet payment. It's then your responsibility to count it for them, or pay in a method that fits within their policy. Especially if it's a Private Company, not a Gov. Office.

Message 22 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@MakingProgress wrote:

I maybe wrong but my understanding is that it is illegal to deny payment made legal tender.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12772.htm

Interesting.   In the UK there are (low) limits as to what has to be accepted, depending on the coin:

• 1p – for any amount up to 20p
  • 2p – for any amount up to 20p
  • 5p – for any amount up to £5
  • 10p – for any amount up to £5
  • 20p – for any amount up to £10
  • 25p (Crown) – for any amount up to £10
  • 50p – for any amount up to £10

But pound coins have to be accepted for any amount....

Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.