Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retirement vs paying down debt

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Retirement vs paying down debt

I'm playing catch-up with my retirement savings so that's been my focus over the past year. Right now, I have 100k in my 401k and I'm contributing the max pretax plus employer match. I have my aftertax set to take all of my bonuses plus 5% of my salary so I think it'll come out around the max total contribution. 

Other than that, I have 10k in an investment account for liquid savings and 100k in home equity.

My only debt other than student loans is a 12k car I financed for my son (4.99%), 15k solar loan (4%), 8k tax debt from 2017 that I'm making $140/mo payments on, a new 3.4K tax debt from 2018 that I want to pay off ASAP to avoid all the fees, a 2k Peloton (0% interest), and 8k debt to my law school that's 0% interest and I pay $150/mo on. 

I make 180k with bonuses around 20-30% annually and stock grants of 50-60k per year. My plan was initially to use the stock solely for investments earmarked for retirement so in 4 years I'd have 200k+ in that account. However, now I'm thinking it might be best to pay off the IRS and my son's car with the first 25k stock grant this month, freeing up around $450 per mo that I could then invest while eliminating those higher interest debts. 

Thoughts? My only concern is that I'm trying to hit 500k saved in the next 4 years so I'll feel better about retirement. I'm 42, if that matters.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FICOlearner123
Regular Contributor

Re: Retirement vs paying down debt

What is the rate of interest on your tax debt? 

Goal Cards
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's about 5%. I'll definitely pay the new 3.4K because that has no penalties or interest or fees if I pay it quickly.

Message 3 of 4
JTC-137
Regular Contributor

With 50k debt vs 180k+ income I'd pause your retirement all together and knock out the debt asap. Should be done by October at the latest. I say this is what I would do because that's exactly what I did, with the exact same income:debt ratio as you and it was the most liberating decision I've ever made. Then start your retirement up again and get that house paid off. True freedom comes when you have no one to lord over you. You still have 20+ years of steady investing at a high income, you'll be sitting pretty my friend Smiley Happy Congrats on your success

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.