Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roth IRAs and Trading Stocks

tag
SALEEN961
Valued Member

Roth IRAs and Trading Stocks

Hello, I'm looking to open a ROTH IRA that gives me the ability to trade stocks like I do in my Scottrade brokerage account but with all the tax advantages that a Roth IRA provides so long as I'm ok with leaving the money in there until I'm 60. Can anyone reccomend a company to look into that gives a wide option of stocks to invest in that can be traded online?

My plan is to keep funds I might need to access at somepoint in my normal brokerrage account where I'll pay capitol gains tax every year and to keep funds comitted to retirement in a ROTH IRA where I'll pay no additional taxes and let the money grow tax free as untaxed gains are re-invested.

I'm also interested in hearing any retirement or general investment advice from someone else who would undoubtably have more knowledge and experience in this area than I do.

Discover IT 38.5K | AMEX BCE 20K | AMEX BCE Preffered 25K | PayPal Extras MC 10K
Chase Freedom Visa Signature 25K | Chase Freedom Unlimited 24.1K | Chase Amazon 13.5K

EX FICO: 788 Amex
EQ FICO: 796 DCU
TU FICO: 817 Chase
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
iced
Valued Contributor

Re: Roth IRAs and Trading Stocks

I'm fairly sure Fidelity lets you do this with personal IRAs (including Roth). If it was opened by an employer, such as a 401k, it's restricted to what can be done by the employer.

Message 2 of 3
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

Re: Roth IRAs and Trading Stocks

Any of the often recommended discount brokerages offer Roth IRA accounts

that have full trading access. I have current IRA accounts at Schwab, Fidelity and

TdAmeritrade. Any of those do what you are asking for and are extremely well run

companies. Take your pick, or there are a few others I don't have experience with

that get equally good reviews. You really can't go wrong picking any large discount

brokerage, the niche is filled with quality players.

I don't have much advice as far as investing beyond this: Be careful about falling

into the belief system that you can time the market or pick individual stocks and

statistically beat the performance of the market as a whole. That is a pipedream.

I'd recommend spending your research time figuring out your asset allocation and

then buy it with the cheapest index products that get you there. And then hold.

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.