cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDFCU membership - how long does it take?

tag
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Re: SDFCU membership - how long does it take?

@5KRunner wrote:

@Guyatthebeach wrote:

5KRunner,

Congratulations on finally getting in with SDFCU.  They really a decent credit union and very conservative in their lending practices. After being a member for a year, I started getting annual automatic CLI's on my Visa and those cool preapproved personal loans.

Guyatthebeach

Good information... thank you! I'm in the process of setting up a few small recurring transfers from my primary checking account (PenFed) to ensure that my new accounts are never regarded as dormant.

Do you think this is a legit offer or just marketing? I suspect it's the latter. I'm not planning to app for new credit for a while, but it would be nice to have an idea of my approval chances with them before doing so.40FDA292-D013-48BD-A3D5-E2D850C7888A.png

This is a marketing ploy.  I've never seen a preapproval for a Visa with them. I have only gotten preapprovals for car loans and the always fun to see preapproved loan checks.

Guyatthebeach

Message 21 of 26
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Re: Beyond Frustrated with SDFCU...

Andy77,

I'm very curious to see your situation gets resolved. There is no question that you have done you're due diligence to provide more than enough documents to confirm your identity. I think there is definitely an issue with whatever verification service they are using. For example, if they can't identify you on Lexis Nexis, they should be able to on Chex and the credit bureaus. 

I don't have a copy of SDFCU's bylaws, but everything I saw online makes no mention of having to go inside a branch as a term of gaining membership. I fully understand your point of view. I had to go through a lot of hoops to join, and in the end, the reward was not worth effort when I was joining BECU.  I can also see SDCFU's point of view too.  

Hopefully they can figure it and let you join.

Guyatthebeach

Message 22 of 26
Andy77
Valued Contributor

I, of course understand that CU's are governed by their own laws and rules, but I performed every single step stated in all of SDFCU's documentation to be an eligible member. In person applications for membership are not stated as being a requirement for membership and I believe if they were a requirement this requirement would be clearly stated on their website or in some form of documentation. 

Message 23 of 26
Papa_Bear
Frequent Contributor

When I became a member last year, everything was done online. I didn't (and couldn't) visit a branch if I had to.

Message 24 of 26
kremonis
Regular Contributor

@Andy77 wrote:

I, of course understand that CU's are governed by their own laws and rules, but I performed every single step stated in all of SDFCU's documentation to be an eligible member. In person applications for membership are not stated as being a requirement for membership and I believe if they were a requirement this requirement would be clearly stated on their website or in some form of documentation. 

@Andy77 

Let's assume that eventually SDFCU does grant you membership. Would your negative experiences in obtaining memebership make you reluctant to use or recommend any of their products (mortgage, car loan, credit cards, etc)?

Message 25 of 26
MrT_521
Regular Contributor

@Papa_Bear wrote:
When I became a member last year, everything was done online. I didn't (and couldn't) visit a branch if I had to.

Same here. I live in Africa. Smiley Tongue

Personal Cards

Business Cards

Debit Cards

FICO 8 Scores (as of Dec 14, 2022)

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.