cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSFCU membership now, credit application later?

Your FICO® Scores can impact your loan interest rates, terms, approvals and more.
Regular Contributor

SSFCU membership now, credit application later?

There is a SSFCU branch a couple blocks from my workplace. I'm interested in the Travel Rewards MC but I'm looking to garden for a few more months.

So my dilemma is that I applied for a job on the other side of the country. If it happens to work out then I will be moving out of SSFCU's service area. Can I open a savings account now while I'm eligible then wait to apply for credit down the line after the move?

 

My instinct says, once you're in you're in but then again Golden1 lets anyone join then rejects credit applications if you aren't a California resident.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Valued Contributor

Re: SSFCU membership now, credit application later?

SSFCU is pretty awful just FYI... they don’t even have alerts for their cards. 

 

But outside of that, you might want to call them and ask. They required address and POI for me when I opened my share savings and then apped for the Power Cash Back MC. 

 

But seriously... I would look at other credit unions... The only reason I haven’t closed the card is because it’s my only WMC and it makes a good SD card. They don’t even report every month unless you use it!



Scores 1/2019:
Scores 4/2019:

Hover over my cards to see my limits!
Goal: Garden... and garden... and garden.
Message 2 of 10
Valued Contributor

Re: SSFCU membership now, credit application later?


@Standby wrote:

There is a SSFCU branch a couple blocks from my workplace. I'm interested in the Travel Rewards MC but I'm looking to garden for a few more months.

So my dilemma is that I applied for a job on the other side of the country. If it happens to work out then I will be moving out of SSFCU's service area. Can I open a savings account now while I'm eligible then wait to apply for credit down the line after the move?

 

My instinct says, once you're in you're in but then again Golden1 lets anyone join then rejects credit applications if you aren't a California resident.


With SSFCU once a member, always a member. There are no geo restrictions for their products once you leave CO/UT/TX (always love hearing about people LEAVING Colorado Smiley Happy  ) I have heard that Golden 1 requires its members to still reside in CA for certain new products and Logix FCU (formerlly Lockheed FCU requires you to still live in CA, AZ or MA to get a car loan from them) but to my knowledge, SSFCU is not that ghetto.

 

To echo the sentiments of the poster above me....SSFCU is nothing to write home about. I've been constantly disappointed by the branch here in Centennial and Littleton and other than their PLOC, their rates aren't always the best. You do have to watch SSFCU though, every once in a while they lower their rates for a few months before raising them again which makes them worth holding onto. 

 

They aren't the worst, they aren't the best. I have checking, savings and the PLOC with them. If you live in TX and are eligible for SSFCU, I'd go to RBFCU instead; and if you live in UT, Mountain America and America First credit unions are better. Colorado credit unions are pretty awful actually, so I can't really recommend one over SSFCU. Just know that there are better credit cards out there than anything SSFCU offers.

 

ETA: I just noticed your signature...SSFCU is pretty strict; you may want to improve your scores and credit lines before applying with them. They are known TU pullers. So to answer your original question: apply for credit with SSFCU any time you are ready; it does not matter where you live once you are a member. 


Message 3 of 10
Regular Contributor

Re: SSFCU membership now, credit application later?


@CO_NATIVE wrote:

@Standby wrote:

There is a SSFCU branch a couple blocks from my workplace. I'm interested in the Travel Rewards MC but I'm looking to garden for a few more months.

So my dilemma is that I applied for a job on the other side of the country. If it happens to work out then I will be moving out of SSFCU's service area. Can I open a savings account now while I'm eligible then wait to apply for credit down the line after the move?

 

My instinct says, once you're in you're in but then again Golden1 lets anyone join then rejects credit applications if you aren't a California resident.


With SSFCU once a member, always a member. There are no geo restrictions for their products once you leave CO/UT/TX (always love hearing about people LEAVING Colorado Smiley Happy  ) I have heard that Golden 1 requires its members to still reside in CA for certain new products and Logix FCU (formerlly Lockheed FCU requires you to still live in CA, AZ or MA to get a car loan from them) but to my knowledge, SSFCU is not that ghetto.

 

To echo the sentiments of the poster above me....SSFCU is nothing to write home about. I've been constantly disappointed by the branch here in Centennial and Littleton and other than their PLOC, their rates aren't always the best. You do have to watch SSFCU though, every once in a while they lower their rates for a few months before raising them again which makes them worth holding onto. 

 

They aren't the worst, they aren't the best. I have checking, savings and the PLOC with them. If you live in TX and are eligible for SSFCU, I'd go to RBFCU instead; and if you live in UT, Mountain America and America First credit unions are better. Colorado credit unions are pretty awful actually, so I can't really recommend one over SSFCU. Just know that there are better credit cards out there than anything SSFCU offers.

 

ETA: I just noticed your signature...SSFCU is pretty strict; you may want to improve your scores and credit lines before applying with them. They are known TU pullers. So to answer your original question: apply for credit with SSFCU any time you are ready; it does not matter where you live once you are a member. 


Thanks, doesn't look like I will be moving imminently now Smiley Sad

Another year in Utah then I'm relatively certain I'll be leaving though.

I have some time to think about it some more.

I didn't really see any products from Mountain America or America First that caught my eye. Perhaps you can enlighten me. Is it just that their customer service is lightyears ahead of SSFCU?

Message 4 of 10
Valued Contributor

Re: SSFCU membership now, credit application later?

SSFCU gave me my card with a ~650 TU score... it squeaked approval (lowest $5K SL at 18%) but it was approved. 

 

I was pretty harsh on them but there are actually worse credit unions and at least SSFCU has an app that you can use. Just be prepared for the process - POI, proof of address, a few phone calls and some emails for doc signing. 



Scores 1/2019:
Scores 4/2019:

Hover over my cards to see my limits!
Goal: Garden... and garden... and garden.
Message 5 of 10
Valued Contributor

Re: SSFCU membership now, credit application later?


@Standby wrote:

@CO_NATIVE wrote:

@Standby wrote:

There is a SSFCU branch a couple blocks from my workplace. I'm interested in the Travel Rewards MC but I'm looking to garden for a few more months.

So my dilemma is that I applied for a job on the other side of the country. If it happens to work out then I will be moving out of SSFCU's service area. Can I open a savings account now while I'm eligible then wait to apply for credit down the line after the move?

 

My instinct says, once you're in you're in but then again Golden1 lets anyone join then rejects credit applications if you aren't a California resident.


 


Thanks, doesn't look like I will be moving imminently now Smiley Sad

Another year in Utah then I'm relatively certain I'll be leaving though.

I have some time to think about it some more.

I didn't really see any products from Mountain America or America First that caught my eye. Perhaps you can enlighten me. Is it just that their customer service is lightyears ahead of SSFCU?


Why are you upset about not being able to leave Utah/looking forward to counting down the months until you leave? Just curious. Utah is a beautiful state and there are far, far worse places to live.

 

So you are right, Mountain America and America First don't have mind blowing products, but from what I understand they have great service and once you prove yourself to them they really take care of you. I have a friend in in Provo, UT and lets just say he could be better about budgeting/living within his means...he has been through bankruptcy twice and both credit unions took care of his needs (car loan, credit card, HELOC) right after discharge with decent rates.  It is well known that Utah is a very credit union savvy state and its because the credit unions there have their members' backs.

 

Don't get me wrong, SSFCU is not the worst; they are the 8th largest credit union based on members and I believe 9th or 10th based on assets in the US-so they are doing something right. I have just been spoiled by NFCU. A few years back, SSFCU had some of the lowest personal loan rates around in addition to their PLOC (currently 8.25%) but their car loan rates are easily beaten by most other CU's. Their deposit rates are okay but can be beaten. 

 

I have seen some of your other posts since I first responded to you and I can see that you know your credit unions, so I won't try to school you. SSFCU is a fine pairing to NFCU, PenFed, Alliant etc. I believe it is good business to have an arsenal of credit unions in your back pocket so that you can shop around for what works best for you. I have yet to find the perfect credit union that offers the best of the best on all products-usually you have to go to two or three CUs to get everything you need at the best rates.  I just really believe there are better cards out there than what SSFCU offers. 

 

As Saeren said, they do review credit applications thouroughly and you would want to have a 700+ score to get the best rates. When I applied for the PLOC they did want income verification. I had just started a new job a few months prior so I entered on the application what my expected income would be for the year by adding my new, higher salary to what I had already earned for the year (and not both annual incomes combined-I took what I earned from the last job plus what would be earned for the remaining months at the new job). Nothing shady, but when I got to the branch to give them the POI the lady acted all confused as to what I had done and basically called me out for lying. And she did so very loudly where other members could hear with that fake, syrupie Texas twang in her voice. I was not happy about that. But I was very happy with the 6% rate (before Prime rate went up) lol. Or when I had to call in to get back into my online account management the guy blurted out that "perhaps you should use a password you will remember." Well duh! 

 

Anyway, as usual I wrote a novel to your simple question LOL. TL: DR SSFCU is a decent CU and count yourself as fortunate as the few that can join; just be sure to be prepared for less than stellar service and the best rates are reserved for those with excellent credit (which I actually appreciate). 


Message 6 of 10
Valued Contributor

Re: SSFCU membership now, credit application later?

I think the real problem with SSFCU is their attitude is much more bank than CU and that’s what I don’t like about them. Those two stories that you just shared are a great example. That scolding crap is what you would expect from a bank, not a credit union. 

 

And yes, I’m spoiled by NFCU as well. 😂 



Scores 1/2019:
Scores 4/2019:

Hover over my cards to see my limits!
Goal: Garden... and garden... and garden.
Message 7 of 10
Regular Contributor

Re: SSFCU membership now, credit application later?


@CO_NATIVE wrote:

@Standby wrote:

@CO_NATIVE wrote:

@Standby wrote:

There is a SSFCU branch a couple blocks from my workplace. I'm interested in the Travel Rewards MC but I'm looking to garden for a few more months.

So my dilemma is that I applied for a job on the other side of the country. If it happens to work out then I will be moving out of SSFCU's service area. Can I open a savings account now while I'm eligible then wait to apply for credit down the line after the move?

 

My instinct says, once you're in you're in but then again Golden1 lets anyone join then rejects credit applications if you aren't a California resident.


 


Thanks, doesn't look like I will be moving imminently now Smiley Sad

Another year in Utah then I'm relatively certain I'll be leaving though.

I have some time to think about it some more.

I didn't really see any products from Mountain America or America First that caught my eye. Perhaps you can enlighten me. Is it just that their customer service is lightyears ahead of SSFCU?


Why are you upset about not being able to leave Utah/looking forward to counting down the months until you leave? Just curious. Utah is a beautiful state and there are far, far worse places to live.

 

I really have enjoyed my last couple years here in Utah. I grew up in Minnesota and the weather down here is definately more aggreeable to me. I'm counting my lucky stars I wasn't back there the last couple weeks. Plenty of outdoorsy activities here to enjoy too. It's just that I'm ready to move on careerwise to a bigger and better company.  Add to that my SO is leaving the state for grad school in a year. Therefore I'm on the lookout for job opportunities that let us stay together. Neither of us have roots here so I don't forsee us moving back.

 

So you are right, Mountain America and America First don't have mind blowing products, but from what I understand they have great service and once you prove yourself to them they really take care of you. I have a friend in in Provo, UT and lets just say he could be better about budgeting/living within his means...he has been through bankruptcy twice and both credit unions took care of his needs (car loan, credit card, HELOC) right after discharge with decent rates.  It is well known that Utah is a very credit union savvy state and its because the credit unions there have their members' backs.

 

I may check one or both of those out later too. I believe both are EX HP to join. My debacle trying to join Langley a few weeks ago has put me off joining CUs that HP. For now my plan is to garden for NFCU and PenFed apps later this year. After that I may go on a little spree of joining some more CUs.

 

Don't get me wrong, SSFCU is not the worst; they are the 8th largest credit union based on members and I believe 9th or 10th based on assets in the US-so they are doing something right. I have just been spoiled by NFCU. A few years back, SSFCU had some of the lowest personal loan rates around in addition to their PLOC (currently 8.25%) but their car loan rates are easily beaten by most other CU's. Their deposit rates are okay but can be beaten. 

 

I have seen some of your other posts since I first responded to you and I can see that you know your credit unions, so I won't try to school you. SSFCU is a fine pairing to NFCU, PenFed, Alliant etc. I believe it is good business to have an arsenal of credit unions in your back pocket so that you can shop around for what works best for you. I have yet to find the perfect credit union that offers the best of the best on all products-usually you have to go to two or three CUs to get everything you need at the best rates.  I just really believe there are better cards out there than what SSFCU offers. 

 

I'm definately not planning on shifting a large amount of my business over to SSFCU since Alliant and NFCU have been working great for me so far. I think we are on the same page about keeping options open and if SSFCU happens to come out with great product in the future I will already have my foot in the door.

 

As Saeren said, they do review credit applications thouroughly and you would want to have a 700+ score to get the best rates. When I applied for the PLOC they did want income verification. I had just started a new job a few months prior so I entered on the application what my expected income would be for the year by adding my new, higher salary to what I had already earned for the year (and not both annual incomes combined-I took what I earned from the last job plus what would be earned for the remaining months at the new job). Nothing shady, but when I got to the branch to give them the POI the lady acted all confused as to what I had done and basically called me out for lying. And she did so very loudly where other members could hear with that fake, syrupie Texas twang in her voice. I was not happy about that. But I was very happy with the 6% rate (before Prime rate went up) lol. Or when I had to call in to get back into my online account management the guy blurted out that "perhaps you should use a password you will remember." Well duh! 

 

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I have read through the reviews of my local branch on google and people's opinions are very split about them. There are a few stories like yours where people have had horrible customer service experiences. Seems like they are sticklers about their rules and will throw politeness out the window rather then bend them. Others say they are great so it seems like it's one of those YMMV things.

 

Anyway, as usual I wrote a novel to your simple question LOL. TL: DR SSFCU is a decent CU and count yourself as fortunate as the few that can join; just be sure to be prepared for less than stellar service and the best rates are reserved for those with excellent credit (which I actually appreciate). 

 

I'm grateful for the detailed response. I can be a bit long winded myself Smiley Wink


 

Message 8 of 10
Regular Contributor

Re: SSFCU membership now, credit application later?


@Saeren wrote:

SSFCU gave me my card with a ~650 TU score... it squeaked approval (lowest $5K SL at 18%) but it was approved. 

 

Do you happen to recall which flavor of TU score they pulled? The only TU scores I get are 08 from Discover and CCT but I could make a good guess at the rest by comparing them to my range of EX scores.

 

I was pretty harsh on them but there are actually worse credit unions and at least SSFCU has an app that you can use. Just be prepared for the process - POI, proof of address, a few phone calls and some emails for doc signing. 

 

Good to know. I'll likely go to the branch if/when I decide to join them. Maybe get the card in branch before I move to avoid some of the hassle too.


 

Message 9 of 10
Valued Contributor

Re: SSFCU membership now, credit application later?


@Standby wrote:

@Saeren wrote:

SSFCU gave me my card with a ~650 TU score... it squeaked approval (lowest $5K SL at 18%) but it was approved. 

 

Do you happen to recall which flavor of TU score they pulled? The only TU scores I get are 08 from Discover and CCT but I could make a good guess at the rest by comparing them to my range of EX scores.

 

I was pretty harsh on them but there are actually worse credit unions and at least SSFCU has an app that you can use. Just be prepared for the process - POI, proof of address, a few phone calls and some emails for doc signing. 

 

Good to know. I'll likely go to the branch if/when I decide to join them. Maybe get the card in branch before I move to avoid some of the hassle too.


 


I honestly don’t remember what they pulled but if it was anything other than my FICO8, I doubt I would have been approved because my TU scores other than 8 were even lower. 

 

Going in to a branch would save a bit of frustration as long as you don’t get someone who’s rude. 



Scores 1/2019:
Scores 4/2019:

Hover over my cards to see my limits!
Goal: Garden... and garden... and garden.
Message 10 of 10