Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Pay

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Samsung Pay

@WolfMan wrote:

I love Samsung Pay. The MST (Magnetic Secure Transmission) makes it awesome. I love when a clerk says "We can't take apple pay" then it works, and I just say, "It's not apple pay."  Sometimes they ask more about it, and I'm happy to explain the technology. 

I've been using it on my phone & watch since last year & I usually make 30-40 payments a month. Would be nice if I could get points for every time I get "We can't take Apple pay" then the surprise look when it goes through.

Message 21 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dunno if someone answered this earlier re: Amex cid but yes the digital last 4 serves this purpose. Been using sampay religiously since last year, and while it's childish I too take great joy in a clerk telling me apple pay doesn't work and my telling them this will while they roll their eyes, only for the mst to work.

More often than not I'm juggling a fidgety toddler whenever checking out so the ability to unlock and pay for a purchase with a single hand is a godsend compared to digging out a physical card and I'd still use it even without earning rewards on 50+ transactions a month. I also feel much better about paying by card in sketchy places since using the digital number gives you another layer of defense over a skimmer or memory scraping malware.
Message 22 of 81
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Dunno if someone answered this earlier re: Amex cid but yes the digital last 4 serves this purpose. Been using sampay religiously since last year, and while it's childish I too take great joy in a clerk telling me apple pay doesn't work and my telling them this will while they roll their eyes, only for the mst to work.

More often than not I'm juggling a fidgety toddler whenever checking out so the ability to unlock and pay for a purchase with a single hand is a godsend compared to digging out a physical card and I'd still use it even without earning rewards on 50+ transactions a month. I also feel much better about paying by card in sketchy places since using the digital number gives you another layer of defense over a skimmer or memory scraping malware.

This is great to know... I'm surprised they don't make it more clear, since I'm sure it's bound to come up from time-to-time. 

I've searched in all the usual places and I was surprised not to be able to find any mention of Amex CID w/ Samsung Pay at all.

Thanks for the great info!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 23 of 81
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I have a couple of new data points...

I successfully used Samsung Pay at Great Clips for my haircut; I was unsure of using it there since you're able to add a tip, but the location I used now allows the tip to be added before the authorization is requested.  My first attempt caused an error to come up on the cashier/stylist's side; I don't recall the exact message but it was something like 'service not active at this salon' (she read the exact message to me).  I tried again, the second time holding the phone lower hoping the terminal would capture the MST rather than NFC and it worked.

I also used it again at Wal-Mart, this time with my Amex PRG.  I mentioned before my issue with my Wells Fargo Propel Amex, so I figured I would see if it was a problem with the WF card or Amex in general... it appears it is Amex in general, since I had the same problem with the PRG (i.e. it was declined the first time, then approved on the second try).  I don't know if this is an issue specific to Wal-Mart, the terminal vendor, or something else but I've only had this issue at Wal-Mart and only with an Amex - using my USAA Visa generally works on the first try.  I've occasionally had issues with the USAA Visa but it is always 'read error' or 'security code error' or something along those lines... I don't have to wonder if the bank is declining my card like I (initially) did with my Amex cards.

I'm still pleased with Samsung Pay in general.  I used it enough last month to reach 'Platinum' status, and I would consider my 'experiment' with mobile payments so far to be a success.  Smiley Happy

Side note:  I've found that whenever I see one of the new(er) Verifone terminals Samsung Pay usually works on the first try.  I have found these at Publix, Belk, Kroger, and Chick-Fil-A, and it's just as fast as using the physical card (in the case of Publix, it's actually faster).  My local Great Clips and Wal-Mart both have the new(er) Ingenico terminals, and they generally require some level of trial-and-error (at least for me).

Message 24 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can count me in as another Samsung Pay lover. I use it daily and it works wonderfully on both my S7 Edge and Gear S3 watch.

I get the errors when I use it at Walmart(with Visa) but I just disregard them and hold my phone/watch steady and it goes through no problem. But lately I’ve switched to Walmart Pay at Walmart since it is so convenient to have an electronic receipt and it makes it easier to submit for Savings Catcher to get money back.

Another place most people don’t realize you can use it is at gas pumps. I’ve got a 80% success rate at the stations around me. Once you figure out which stations it works with it is 100%. You just have to insert a card, I use a fuel network card or my insurance card, into the reader as you hold your phone/watch to the reader to “switch on” the reader so it will receive the MST signal. The card needs to not have a magnetic stripe or be inserted upside down since you don’t want the reader to read it, it just trips a physical switch in the reader so it is activated. It sounds more complicated than it is. It won’t work at all stations since some readers seem to be set back too far for the MST signal to reach.

Samsung Pay is also a payment option for the Exxon Speedpass+ app. With the above trick and the Exxon app I no longer have to worry about skimmers that seem to pop up at gas stations weekly.

Samsung really needs to give a stronger PR push. Apple seem to think it is just another version of Apple Pay but when they see what it can do they are amazed.

Message 25 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You can count me in as another Samsung Pay lover. I use it daily and it works wonderfully on both my S7 Edge and Gear S3 watch.

I get the errors when I use it at Walmart(with Visa) but I just disregard them and hold my phone/watch steady and it goes through no problem. But lately I’ve switched to Walmart Pay at Walmart since it is so convenient to have an electronic receipt and it makes it easier to submit for Savings Catcher to get money back.

Another place most people don’t realize you can use it is at gas pumps. I’ve got a 80% success rate at the stations around me. Once you figure out which stations it works with it is 100%. You just have to insert a card, I use a fuel network card or my insurance card, into the reader as you hold your phone/watch to the reader to “switch on” the reader so it will receive the MST signal. The card needs to not have a magnetic stripe or be inserted upside down since you don’t want the reader to read it, it just trips a physical switch in the reader so it is activated. It sounds more complicated than it is. It won’t work at all stations since some readers seem to be set back too far for the MST signal to reach.

Samsung Pay is also a payment option for the Exxon Speedpass+ app. With the above trick and the Exxon app I no longer have to worry about skimmers that seem to pop up at gas stations weekly.

Samsung really needs to give a stronger PR push. Apple seem to think it is just another version of Apple Pay but when they see what it can do they are amazed.

Holy crap, thank you for this tip! I always go on and on to people how great sampay is but have had next to zero luck getting it to work at pumps. I would never have thought about the insert triggering a separate physical switch to enable the reader, I presumed it was the magstrip itself triggering the reader head or that the head defaulted to an always-on state. Can't wait to give it a shot, though 99% of my fills are at Costco with the citi Costco Visa, this tip will come in handy for our next road trip. Thanks! 

Message 26 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

It can take a few tries to get it right. I place my phone on the top of the part of the reader that sticks out and activate Samsung pay and the reach under and slide the card in and out while holding the phone steady. The card needs to be smooth and not embossed so it slides in easy. Good luck, hope it works at your preferred stations.

Message 27 of 81
DantGwyrdd
Frequent Contributor

Speaking of gas stations -- a lot of Sheetz pumps have been upgraded to support NFC payments which is pretty cool.

Message 28 of 81
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I'm out of luck at gas stations... my preferred card for gas is my Sam's Club MasterCard (for the 5% cash back), but Sam's isn't compatible with Samsung Pay yet.  Smiley Sad

I would love the extra protection S. Pay offers, but I'm not willing to give up my 5%! 

I plan to rearrange my S. Pay cards soon (I'm at the max of 10) and when I do I'll try again to add Sam's Club, perhaps it will work now.

Message 29 of 81
DantGwyrdd
Frequent Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

I'm out of luck at gas stations... my preferred card for gas is my Sam's Club MasterCard (for the 5% cash back), but Sam's isn't compatible with Samsung Pay yet.  Smiley Sad

I would love the extra protection S. Pay offers, but I'm not willing to give up my 5%! 

I plan to rearrange my S. Pay cards soon (I'm at the max of 10) and when I do I'll try again to add Sam's Club, perhaps it will work now.

I just got the USAA Cashback Rewards Plus so I can have 5% back at gas stations and it's compatible with Samsung Pay as well Smiley Happy Granted, these cards usually don't count purchases at grocery store & similar gas stations as gas purchases so there's that (I don't have a Sam's that near so I don't buy gas there ever, but the Walmart gas station is classified as 'General Merchandise'). I'm at 9 cards in my Samsung Pay wallet now and waiting for Limitless to become available in WV Smiley Tongue

Message 30 of 81
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.