Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung pay

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Samsung pay

For those keeping score of Apple vs Android vs Samsung.   Today I was able to use Samsung Pay for the first time at a non-NFC terminal (their key advantage).  Only took about 5 times longer than using a cc, and the clerk asked me "What are you trying to do".   So, not sure this counts as a great success, especially as I used a card that earns lower rewards, but hey, tech is fun!

Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Samsung pay

Non-NFC? How does Samsung pay work then?
Message 2 of 45
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

I was originally bummed that I have an S4 and can't participate but after looking at the list of supported banks, I realize I don't have a card with any of them anyway.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 3 of 45
KneelBeforeZod
Frequent Contributor

Do tell....I'd like to know this as well...

Current Scores (Dec 20, 2015) - EQ=719 EX=739 TU=740
Message 4 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

It works by using something that works with the swipe area of a reader.

Message 5 of 45
joshkm
New Contributor

It's compatible with most magnetic strip terminals which is good because a lot of places still don't have NFC. You just hold the phone up to it. I haven't tried it yet. I'm not really sure what I think about the whole paying with your phone business. I'm so used to swiping that it would seem strange to pull out my phone.

It's supposed to be very secure, but a temporary card number is generated during the transaction from what I've read on it. I wonder about issues with certain rewards cards that have specific rewards categories and whether there are issues with getting points or not?

They're are a ton of videos on Youtube of people using it and for the most part it seems to work great. I should try it one of these days.

Message 6 of 45
KneelBeforeZod
Frequent Contributor

I have to admit as an Apple user, this totally beats the hell out of Apple Pay.  Good job Samsung...

Current Scores (Dec 20, 2015) - EQ=719 EX=739 TU=740
Message 7 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

If Apple Pay doesn't copy Samsung I might move to Samsung after the Discover 10% Bonus is done.

Apple Pay is amazing, and I love the extra security... I'd love to be able to use my phone to pay!

Message 8 of 45
joshkm
New Contributor

@barthooper wrote:

I was originally bummed that I have an S4 and can't participate but after looking at the list of supported banks, I realize I don't have a card with any of them anyway.

That's the other big problem I see is some banks not being on board yet. I use my Sallie Mae a lot and I'm not losing out on points just to be hip and cool paying with my phone. Hopefully in the future everybody will get on board.

I had the S4 in white and it was a great phone. I lost mine a couple months back and had to get a gold S6. I'm a Samsung fan when it comes to their phones!

Message 9 of 45
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

@joshkm wrote:

@barthooper wrote:

That's the other big problem I see is some banks not being on board yet. I use my Sallie Mae a lot and I'm not losing out on points just to be hip and cool paying with my phone. Hopefully in the future everybody will get on board.

I had the S4 in white and it was a great phone. I lost mine a couple months back and had to get a gold S6. I'm a Samsung fan when it comes to their phones!

Completely agree, cash is king. I'd also only use a card in a non-category dependent situation as well because I'd hate to use Sallie as usual for groceries but not get my 5% because the MCC didn't get reported correctly.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 10 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.