Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Savings garden club?

tag
blossom_rebuilding
Regular Contributor

Re: Savings garden club?

I LOVE the savings playground idea. Savings is an integral part of credit/financial rebuilding that tends to be an afterthought for understandable reasons. The immediate need always trumps the long term goal, and my immediate need was to pay down my massive credit card debt and get on top of my student loan payments. However, I was always one unexpected life event away from getting derailed, and it happened multiple times (for example, a blown transmission literally set me back years). I actually think about where I would be financially now if that hadn't happened all the time. One metric I now have for success is how quickly I can weather an unexpected "life happens" event. I was recently able to recover from a minor car repair within a month, instead of it being a complete financial disaster. That couldn't have happened if I hadn't had some savings to dip into. It wasn't a lot, but it was enough to get me over that unexpected hump.

And then there's the fact that I for one was never taught good household financial management habits. I grew up in a household that lived paycheck to paycheck, and the only savings I saw were literally pennies in an oversized jar. That's not to say that actual savings in actual accounts wasn't happening, but if it was it wasn't something I was aware of or talked to about as I got older. I went to college on student loans, and it only occurred to me after I was there that long-terms savings for college was something that more well-to-do parents, or even more financially savvy parents that weren't well to do, could afford. I've gotten better at saving for specific goals, like vacations or a car down payment, but I'm still not great at saving for general unexpected life events, or long-term plans. So, I'm going to go ahead and open up playground account specifically for this. Hope this thread sticks around; like the garden, it could be great motivation and a learning tool for those who, like me, were never taught or never absorbed household financial management skills.

Message 41 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome!

I'll start an official June Playground thread probably Monday and post a link here!

Message 42 of 51
luxeprw9
Frequent Contributor

Got paid today and made my deposit into my savings account!! (Auto transfer, but still!  LOL!) Woo hoo!!  

I still feel a little uneasy about not allocating a larger portion to the paydown of my student loans, but I'm working through it.  I'm grateful that I can still pay them off by the end of the year.  So ready for that debt to be out of my life!!

FICO Score 8 as of 07/23/18
EQ - 770
EX - 757
TU - 741
Goal: 800
Message 43 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

If there is an income hiccup, you will still be able to pay down debt out of emergency savings.  Without that savings, the interest you're saving is only useful if you can guarantee no income hiccups!

Message 44 of 51
luxeprw9
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If there is an income hiccup, you will still be able to pay down debt out of emergency savings.  Without that savings, the interest you're saving is only useful if you can guarantee no income hiccups!

True!  I have been so totally engrossed in the student loan paydown mode that I almost feel guilty not putting a significant amount towards it.  But I'm feeling much better seeing my savings account balance increase!!

FICO Score 8 as of 07/23/18
EQ - 770
EX - 757
TU - 741
Goal: 800
Message 45 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been pushing folks with major debt to make a savings priority for about 5 years now. The magic happens when you have a solid month of housing+utilities+debt payments in savings. All of a sudden, it clicks and they realize how close to the edge they were living.

Savings begets savings, too. I have more friends of mine passing on the extra bar night or movie night when they know that $40 in savings feels better. Tossing even small wins makes a difference. Didn't have Starbucks today? Toss $3 into savings and call it a win.
Message 46 of 51
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

I love this savings playground idea. Thank you, ABCD, for coming up with it and taking the lead on it and thank whoever came up with the idea of making it a playground to distinguish it from the credit garden.

I'm also a believer in setting aside a savings cushion even if it means continuing for a while to pay high interest debt. A cash savings cushion is something that can help you stay OUT of future high interest debt in an emergency.

I just depleted a lot of my cash cushion to make a large downpayment on a used car and I HATE HATE HATE both being in car debt and feeling pinched for cash. That means this idea of a goal driven savings playground here at MyFICO comes at a perfect time for me.

It came up earlier in this thread that it might be hard for high income and low income people to be in this together, but speaking as a low income person, that doesn't worry me. I don't feel bad if somebody else saves $1,000 a month when I can only save $25 or $50. What matters is setting goals and moving toward them and supporting each other in doing that. I'll be happy to be on the savings playground with you all.

Message 47 of 51
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Welcome!

I'll start an official June Playground thread probably Monday and post a link here!

Did this ever get started? Been watching for it but haven't seen anything come up.

Message 48 of 51
driftless
Valued Contributor

I like the idea of a Savings Playground and glad to see one launched.  I would just like to add that I think that discussion will revolve around lifestyle choices as well as a disciplined savings program.  Size and cost of housing, whether you have car payments or not, etc., are often the threshold questions before you can start to save.  We live modestly but well and essentially debt free.  Our only debt is a mortgage which we can pay off.  
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 49 of 51
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Welcome!

Did this ever get started? Been watching for it but haven't seen anything come up.

Yep, it got started. Here it is:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/The-Savings-Playground-for-June-2017-summer-break/td-p/4980716

And thanks, ABCD for doing it.

Message 50 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.