cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Savings interest and taxes

Rachel9
Established Member

Savings interest and taxes

I’ve had a savings account at Bank of America and Wells Fargo for awhile. Each has around 10k but my interest each month is about 10 cents. I was wondering at what point do I start to pay taxes on it? I’ve never received a 1099 from them at the end of the year.

I know my brokerage account, I get one every year with fidelity.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Savings interest and taxes

Financial institutions are required to send you a 1099-INT form if you have earned more than $10 in interest during the tax year. If you earn less than $10 during the tax year they may still send you a 1099, they're just not required to, and it sounds like if you're getting 10 cents a month you're earning less than $10/ year. BUT, even if you don't receive a 1099 you are still supposed to report it as any & all interest earnings are taxable.

To me, the more important question is why in the world are you keeping $10k in savings with Bank of America and Wells Fargo when they pay you so little interest??? The big banks are the worst at paying such low interest on savings. Good, solid financial firms such as American Express & Discover and many more are currently paying 2.10% interest on savings - for $10k that's $210 per year,  $17.50 per month. Bank of America and Wells Fargo  are cheating you paying such low interest.

Here are current savings rates at Bankrate.com:

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.