Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schwab Brokerage Account questions

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Schwab Brokerage Account questions

Most have probably already heard about TD and etrade, but now Fidelity is going (mostly) commission-free.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 41 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I've pretty much decided to open an account with them. Question though. Do you have to open both brokerage and checking acounts, or can can you just open the a brokerage? I really don't want extra ccounts to manages, so I'd prefer just one. Unless there's some advantage of having both.

Message 42 of 49
MrCreditInternational
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think I've pretty much decided to open an account with them. Question though. Do you have to open both brokerage and checking acounts, or can can you just open the a brokerage? I really don't want extra ccounts to manages, so I'd prefer just one. Unless there's some advantage of having both.

Opening both accounts waives the minimum balance required for the brokerage account. Also, funds transfer almost instantaneously between the two accounts, which is very convenient.

However, since there's no minimum balance requirement for both accounts, you can open both and keep one of them at 0$ balance without any fear. I'd just keep the checking account until you decide to make it your primary checking account, which would probably happen soon Smiley Happy

Schwab Amex Platinum (NPSL); Amex Gold (NPSL); HH Aspire (31,700); Amex BBP (27,000); HSBC Premier WMC (18,000); USB Altitude Reserve (10,000); Chase Sapphire Preferred (5,800), Delta Platinum (5,000); Apple Card (4,750); USB Altitude Go (1,000)

Started collecting cards: Oct/2018
Message 43 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh really, what is the minimum balance required? I've looked all over and didn't read anything about that anywhere. 

Message 44 of 49
MrCreditInternational
Frequent Contributor

true, looks like they changed that so both are free now.

Schwab Amex Platinum (NPSL); Amex Gold (NPSL); HH Aspire (31,700); Amex BBP (27,000); HSBC Premier WMC (18,000); USB Altitude Reserve (10,000); Chase Sapphire Preferred (5,800), Delta Platinum (5,000); Apple Card (4,750); USB Altitude Go (1,000)

Started collecting cards: Oct/2018
Message 45 of 49
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

When most management is done via a web interface or an app, and your brokerage account is something you might log into more frequently anyway than a traditional checking or savings account... with both of them in the same interface is this much of a concern regardless?

        
Message 46 of 49
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You can have check writing and ATM debit card attached to your brokerage account, I did this for years.

I recently opened a High Yield checking at a Schwab CSR's recommendation. (daily mobile check deposit limit is $25K )

As I would get some interest on the amount of Money I was running through the account, it was quite a bit.

I keep large amounts in SWVXX  (Value Advantage Money Fund)

that is not marked for Investing.

Message 47 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought about getting both, though it didn't seem that the interest was very high on the High Yield Checking. Compared to my NFCU account, so I planned to keep more there. And like I said I really didn't want another account to worry about, and have already added acouple for SUBs recently.  I thought that if just the Brokerage account covered all the bases that the checking did, I could get by without another account.

Message 48 of 49
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

You can open a brokerage account with a min. or possibly $25 without a checking account the the information above was inaccurate and there is no fee to keep it

Message 49 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.