Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security of plastic money at stake!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Security of plastic money at stake!

Are debit cards more vulnerable to skimming than credit cards?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

Re: Security of plastic money at stake!

I don't think they're physically any different from one another so I'd say they're equally vulnerable to skimming

Message 2 of 5
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

I'd say they're both equally skimmable but you get better fraud protection policies from credit cards. That extra layer of abstraction from your real money is nice too.

Swipes will be a thing of the past before too long. EMV chips are much harder to hack than mag strips.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrDisco99 wrote:
I'd say they're both equally skimmable but you get better fraud protection policies from credit cards. That extra layer of abstraction from your real money is nice too.

Swipes will be a thing of the past before too long. EMV chips are much harder to hack than mag strips.

Those swipe machines need to get the boot and replaced right away with EMV reading abilities so people can have some peice of mind. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

While they're at it, payment networks need to stop allowing for physical swipes in lieu of chip on EMV terminals for people with non-chip cards. Kinda defeats the whole purpose if someone can still swipe with a different card & does nothing to encourage slacking card issuers to update their cards.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.