Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serious guidance needed penfed checking monthly fees

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Serious guidance needed penfed checking monthly fees

About the monthly fee for being a penfed checking member if i do direct deposit once of say 700$ to my penfed checking account then maybe not do it anylonger will i still get charged a monthly fee ..
I currently use security service federal credit union as checking i also have rbfcu penfed and bleh credit human which is the best if i usually have a direct deposit of around 600 to 900$ and again how can i maintain penfed checking without making it my main checking account please help xd
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Serious guidance needed penfed checking monthly fees

@Anonymous wrote:
About the monthly fee for being a penfed checking member if i do direct deposit once of say 700$ to my penfed checking account then maybe not do it anylonger will i still get charged a monthly fee ..
I currently use security service federal credit union as checking i also have rbfcu penfed and bleh credit human which is the best if i usually have a direct deposit of around 600 to 900$ and again how can i maintain penfed checking without making it my main checking account please help xd

I do not know a way to maintain a PenFed checking account without the monthly maintenance fee without either (a) making direct deposits totalling $500 per month or (b) maintaining a $500 minimum balance.

Some folks here have reported being able to satisfy the direct deposit requirement with ACH transfers from their other banks; I have not found that to be the case.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whats a ach transfer?
Also as long as i keep a total of 500 that has been direct deposited to my account one time i won't be charged is that correct or am i wrong
Message 3 of 21
Hex
Valued Contributor

It is my understanding if you make sure to always keep a $500 balance you won’t get charged the fee. I put $500 into my son’s penfed checking and he’s avoided the fees. Gotta tie up the cash though.
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Phew thats a relief thanks buddy yeah i dont mind putting 5 to the side for that might come in handy on a rainy day
Message 5 of 21
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

ACH is a automated bank to bank transfer.

I get a little of my paycheck DD to my checking (250l) twice a month to avoid fee. I pay a bill or 2 and transfer some to savings.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats a great idea my job lets me add as many dd accounts i like it just splits evenly between them
Message 7 of 21
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Yes I like to do it that way, so technically I put in 500 a month, but I don't have to maintain that balance and can pay a bill and save a little.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 8 of 21
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

I joined Penfed in May of last year, primarily for a Home Equity LOC. I also got a PCR Visa but with a low CL, so I opened a checking account. When I finally got the HELOC in August (man, are they sloooow) I re-evaluated things and decided that keeping $500 in checking wasn't worth it, I have free checking w/no minimum and 1.65% interest at Memory Bank (compared to Penfed krappy .2%), so I closed Penfed checking, and as that made PCR only 1.5% rewards I closed it since by them I had the PayPal 2% MC. I just keep the bare minimum in savings to keep my membership & HELOC active, I think there's much better credit unions.

Message 9 of 21
outofcredit
Established Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I do not know a way to maintain a PenFed checking account without the monthly maintenance fee without either (a) making direct deposits totalling $500 per month or (b) maintaining a $500 minimum balance.

Some folks here have reported being able to satisfy the direct deposit requirement with ACH transfers from their other banks; I have not found that to be the case.

I routinely "pull" the 500 from my connected external accounts, mainly Chase, Wells Fargo or USAA.  The funds are instantly available in my Penfed account.  So far, (past 2 years) this has worked for me and no monthly fee has been charged.  i use the funds for billpay and don't keep a balance in the Penfed account.  The funds have to be pulled before my monthly statement date and the transactions initated from the Penfed site.  YMMV.

Instead of waiting for the storm to pass, I've learned to dance in the rain.
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.