Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short term vs Long term vs cost. Auto related

tag
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Short term vs Long term vs cost. Auto related

I need some help thinking boys and girls.

First, financially, DW and I live in 1952.  Think Ricky and Lucy.  DW DOES work for a living and contributes to the household income, but paying the bills, making the plans, managing credit, etc are my responsibility and we BOTH like it that way.

We live in the midwest.  We get all four seasons here.  (Sometimes all in one day!).  DW is one of those drivers who firmly believes that one simply MUST have a 4x4 during winter months or the freeway will open up and swallow you whole.  I drive a two wheel drive car year round and rarely have any difficulties...she HAS done so in the past but really, REALLY isn't comfortable without 4x4 in the winter.

We JUST paid off her SUV, and the 4x4 went out. It's going to cost more to repair than the automobile is worth...thus, I don't want to do that.  For the moment, she's driving it as a two wheel drive.  (I pulled out the driveshaft to the rear axle, and the thing drives fine.)

Prior to this failure, we HAD discussed purchasing her a new automobile mid 2017.  It would certainly be a 4x4 or an AWD vehicle.

Her current preference is to purchase some little $2k or so 4x4 SUV to own through the next winter, then purchase a new 2017 model sometime next year.   (Keeping both her now two wheel drive SUV AND the $2k or so "beater")

Frankly, I'd rather spend $4k or so on a "nicer" 4x4 that she could get a FEW years out of, then consider a new one in 2018 or 2019.

We're not being mean or arguing with eachother, simply disagreeing and I'm not sure of exactly WHAT I want to do.

Please keep in mind that you, I, God, mother nature, and the presence of the Pope is NOT going to change her mind...she will need a 4x4 by winter.

Do I spend $6k fixing a $5k SUV?

Do I spend $2k buying a beater that she's going to hate?

Do I spend $4k buying a nicer looking one that she won't hate?

Do I throw in the towel and buy her a brand new one now?

Your thoughts?

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
MTSN
Regular Contributor

Re: Short term vs Long term vs cost. Auto related

What the heck kind of repair to a 4x4 system costs $6k?!? No offense, but that's absurdly high to the point I have a hard believing it. I am sure there is a way to fix it cheaper than $6k, and that would be my suggestion. Where and what can you buy for a "nicer" SUV for $4k?? That also doesn't make sense.

One additional piece of info that's missing is what can you afford? It doesn't sound like buying a new vehicle is an option at this point, so I would cross that off the list. It's almost always true that the cheapest vehicle to own is the one you already have. I'd do some research on fixes because if a dealer told you something was going to cost that much it sounds like complete BS.

Message 2 of 10
Appleman
Valued Contributor

I can see you have many irons in the fire so to speak and I wish you luck making everyone happy and getting the best deal.

Personally I am a big fan of my Subaru Outback. AWD, rides like a car but has great ground clearance. Have the Limited with the Eyesight safety system. 

No idea what you are looking to spend on something new but i think we all know how this story will work out, make the wife happy!

Message 3 of 10
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@MTSN wrote:

What the heck kind of repair to a 4x4 system costs $6k?!? No offense, but that's absurdly high to the point I have a hard believing it. I am sure there is a way to fix it cheaper than $6k, and that would be my suggestion. Where and what can you buy for a "nicer" SUV for $4k?? That also doesn't make sense.

One additional piece of info that's missing is what can you afford? It doesn't sound like buying a new vehicle is an option at this point, so I would cross that off the list. It's almost always true that the cheapest vehicle to own is the one you already have. I'd do some research on fixes because if a dealer told you something was going to cost that much it sounds like complete BS.

New drive shaft, $1100.  New transfer case, $4500.  Installed, $5900 plus tax.

I think that you misunderstood me on part of this...  $4k will buy a "nicer" SUV that $2k will pretty much anywhere.  Smiley Happy 

Yes, after four smaller shops couldn't find the issue, we took it to the dealer.    I'm sure that I can get better pricing on parts and labor elsewhere, and haven't started that research yet.

Message 4 of 10
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@Appleman wrote:

I can see you have many irons in the fire so to speak and I wish you luck making everyone happy and getting the best deal.

Personally I am a big fan of my Subaru Outback. AWD, rides like a car but has great ground clearance. Have the Limited with the Eyesight safety system. 

No idea what you are looking to spend on something new but i think we all know how this story will work out, make the wife happy!

LOL.  Glad you are enjoying your Subaru. 

The goal of every married man (well, every SMART married man) is to keep the wife happy. 

...still chewin on this one...

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tcbofade wrote:

I need some help thinking boys and girls.

First, financially, DW and I live in 1952.  Think Ricky and Lucy.  DW DOES work for a living and contributes to the household income, but paying the bills, making the plans, managing credit, etc are my responsibility and we BOTH like it that way.

We live in the midwest.  We get all four seasons here.  (Sometimes all in one day!).  DW is one of those drivers who firmly believes that one simply MUST have a 4x4 during winter months or the freeway will open up and swallow you whole.  I drive a two wheel drive car year round and rarely have any difficulties...she HAS done so in the past but really, REALLY isn't comfortable without 4x4 in the winter.

We JUST paid off her SUV, and the 4x4 went out. It's going to cost more to repair than the automobile is worth...thus, I don't want to do that.  For the moment, she's driving it as a two wheel drive.  (I pulled out the driveshaft to the rear axle, and the thing drives fine.)

Prior to this failure, we HAD discussed purchasing her a new automobile mid 2017.  It would certainly be a 4x4 or an AWD vehicle.

Her current preference is to purchase some little $2k or so 4x4 SUV to own through the next winter, then purchase a new 2017 model sometime next year.   (Keeping both her now two wheel drive SUV AND the $2k or so "beater")

Frankly, I'd rather spend $4k or so on a "nicer" 4x4 that she could get a FEW years out of, then consider a new one in 2018 or 2019.

We're not being mean or arguing with eachother, simply disagreeing and I'm not sure of exactly WHAT I want to do.

Please keep in mind that you, I, God, mother nature, and the presence of the Pope is NOT going to change her mind...she will need a 4x4 by winter.

Do I spend $6k fixing a $5k SUV?

Do I spend $2k buying a beater that she's going to hate?

Do I spend $4k buying a nicer looking one that she won't hate?

Do I throw in the towel and buy her a brand new one now?

Your thoughts?

First, regardless of not being able to change her mind, send her this article from Consumer Reports.

Do not spend $6K to fix something worth $5K. Waste of money.

Spending $2K on a beater for a year is only worth it if a) it lasts without repairs, and b) you can recoup some of that $2K when you trade it in. Likely the blue book on a $2K beater will be pretty low.

I'd say the same for a $4K car that you are trying to get 2 years out of, although there is a much bigger chance you'll be paying repairs in those two years that will up the cost in the long run.

Without knowing what kind of new car you are looking at (i.e. how much $$, and how long would you finance) it's hard to say, but here's a couple of examples.

@$20,000 @ 1.9 for 60 mo = $350 / mo = $4,200 year one, $8,400 for two years

@$20,000 @ 1.9 for 48 mo = $433 / mo = $5,196 year one, $10,392 for two years

For a 1 year beater:

In the first case you're in for $2K more, in the second $3K, minus any repairs. Then you're getting a new car that cost car price + whatever you don't get back in trade + repairs spent during the past year.

For a 2 year beater:

In the first case you're in for $4K more, n the second you're in for $6K more, again minus any repairs (greater chance for this). Again then it's new car price + what you don't get back in trade + 2 year repair cost.

I have always been a fan of new, especially for the wife, as you get all the good years out of the car, then can trade in before you are putting a lot of $$, but it depends on what you can afford per month. Interest rates are so low on car loans right now that for me it's worth it.

Buying used always has the risk of major repairs at any time, especially at the low end of pricing, so that needs to be considered.

Just my opinion.

Message 6 of 10
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Thanks for the response, kill... I DID watch that report, thank you... As I mentioned earlier, this is a particular hang up of my wife that I am well aware of, and it's getting worse, not better.

Thank you for the math on the car payment as well...  I think I'm leaning more towards buying a $4k, 10 year old, AWD, Ford Escape or something similar.  Saw one in good shape in a nearby town for just over $4k.

...it's only March... I may drag my feet a bit on this one.

Oh yeah, she's wanting a Buick Encore... about $25k new.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like the idea of the 4k "beater car" drive it for few years and keep that sucker in case you end up in the same position with your vehicle or if you have kids that will need a car eventually. I would probably sell the 2wd as it no longer is functional for your climate, it would be a non-factor for someone in warmer area. Then when the time is right I would buy a used buick enclave. You will let someone else take the hit on the depreciation, plus you can potentially score a great deal on a hardly used vehicle. Elderly people in particular are well known for selling low mile hardly used vehicles that are impeccably maintained. 

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a big problem with this thread.  AWD and 4x4 are not the same.  4x4 uses transfer case that distributes torque to all four wheels, awd uses center differential to bias torque front and rear.  They are not the same and not interchangable.  Drive some subarus to tell the difference.  I've had a subaru for ten years and love the awd but the clearance is not great (I'm lowered) and can't go off road.  4x4 is much better and you can turn it off, awd is on all the time.  Both have pros and cons.  Tires are as important in snow to traction as the variety of drive system.  If I lived in a snowy place, I would get a used subaru forrester, used sti engine for it, jack it up, put some big mudflaps on it, and haul ass through the snow laughing at everyone who is stuck.  I think OP needs to do some test driving and reading before throwing down the bread, imo.

Message 9 of 10
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Oh hush.  You are certainly correct that AWD and 4x4 are NOT the same thing...  wifey doesn't know the difference, and I ain't tellin' her.  Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.