Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I advise her financially?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I advise her financially?

This girl I knew back in grade school is visibly struggling. She needed money for a car and she's also a young mother. Part of me wants to advise her on taking out a loan or a credit card but I have a feeling she has no credit. I also feel like it would be unwise of me to advise her to get either... because she is already in financial trouble and I firmly believe that she does not have the ability to pay it back. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I advise her financially?

@Anonymous wrote:

This girl I knew back in grade school is visibly struggling. She needed money for a car and she's also a young mother. Part of me wants to advise her on taking out a loan or a credit card but I have a feeling she has no credit. I also feel like it would be unwise of me to advise her to get either... because she is already in financial trouble and I firmly believe that she does not have the ability to pay it back. 

You could point her to these boards Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never volunteer advice.  You can lead a horse to water...

Just tell her to read these forums and let her know how much they helped you.  But don't assume you can give her actual good advice.  She's in a place because of her actions more than anything, and you can't fix others, you can only fix yourself and be an example to others and if they ask you, you can tell them about why you became credit responsible and what the lasting positive effects were.

No one here has ever rebuilt or repaired their credit.  They rebuilt and repaired their own responsible selves and their credit reflected that.  You can't fix a low FICO score, you can only fix what you did to make a low FICO score.

Message 3 of 4
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Never volunteer advice.  You can lead a horse to water...

Just tell her to read these forums and let her know how much they helped you.  But don't assume you can give her actual good advice.  She's in a place because of her actions more than anything, and you can't fix others, you can only fix yourself and be an example to others and if they ask you, you can tell them about why you became credit responsible and what the lasting positive effects were.

No one here has ever rebuilt or repaired their credit.  They rebuilt and repaired their own responsible selves and their credit reflected that.  You can't fix a low FICO score, you can only fix what you did to make a low FICO score.

Seconded. Hannah, you have a laudable tendency to want to help people, but  in most cases people are struggling because of their own choices and unless they are ready and able to make different choices, nothing you can do will be helpful. Worse, you'll find yourself dragged into their dramas and possibly even get played for a sucker.

Definitely send her to these boards if she asks for your help, but don't get involved beyond that.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.