cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply for Penfed or wait 6 months?

tag
Green456
Established Contributor

Should I apply for Penfed or wait 6 months?

I want to join Penfed before their door closes down like NFCU did earlier this year.  But I am afraid that they will deny me for recent HPs. Do you guys think I should wait 6 months or okay to apply?

Credit Score: 799

Credit Utilization: 1%

Hard Pulls:

Fort Knox HP October 13th 2018

Wells Fargo Student Loan refinancing October 9th 2018

I have 3 more HPs in 2017 but they are almost 1 year old.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Should I apply for Penfed or wait 6 months?

Your profile looks like you have a pretty good shot with Penfed, not sure what accounts you have though.

As far as Navy closing their doors?? Thats news to me they have been very wide open with people as of latelySmiley Happy Or did you have a situation with Navy?

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jnbmom wrote:

Your profile looks like you have a pretty good shot with Penfed, not sure what accounts you have though.

As far as Navy closing their doors?? Thats news to me they have been very wide open with people as of latelySmiley Happy Or did you have a situation with Navy?

I think he was referring to the membership loophole that they shut down?  I couldn't think of anything else.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jnbmom wrote:

PenFed is open to public through $5 or $10 (don't remember) to an organization, Navy used to have a similar backdoor entry through an organization in San Jose but closed it a year and a half ago, reason why I have offered to rent my guest room out to NAVY Fed members so I can get in lol.

OP, your profile seems fine at the very least for the membership if you want to get foot in door without CC apps although I think you should be fine there as well, but if 3 HPs are hitting 1 year soon, it will put you well into 800s so I would wait until then if you can.

Message 4 of 9
Green456
Established Contributor

Yeah I am not military. So I wanted to jump on board of their membership sooner rather than later. None of their credit cards offer much but their CD rates seem to be decent and they are one of the bigger credit unions in the country.
Message 5 of 9
CramEiko
Established Contributor

With PenFed you can do volunteer work. For example, dotating blood to RedCross.

Updated Feb 2023:
Citi Double Cash: $26,300
Citi Costco: $33,800
PenFed Power Cash: $50,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $33,400
NFCU Cash Rewards: $29,000
BoA Unlimited Cash: $99,900
Wells Fargo Active Cash: $50,000
Citi AAdvantage Executive: $30,500
Wells Fargo Mortgage 30yr fixed 3.625%

Business Cards:
BoA Business Advantage Unlimited Cash: $8,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold | BoA Custom Cash | Lowes | Barclays Aviator Red
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Green456 wrote:

I want to join Penfed before their door closes down like NFCU did earlier this year.  But I am afraid that they will deny me for recent HPs. Do you guys think I should wait 6 months or okay to apply?

Credit Score: 799

Credit Utilization: 1%

Hard Pulls:

Fort Knox HP October 13th 2018

Wells Fargo Student Loan refinancing October 9th 2018

I have 3 more HPs in 2017 but they are almost 1 year old.

You have nothing to worry my friend. You can sign up today! My stats were somewhat similar to yours when I had signed up at PenFed.

Keep in mind, you will incur another HP when you sign up.

Message 7 of 9
Green456
Established Contributor

Okay so I applied. Suprisingly Penfed instantly made me a member. No issues.

Message 8 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

You aren't an Egyptian, so easy peasySmiley Wink
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.