Re: Social Security COLA 2022

AARP is a joke.

Message 2 of 18
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Save-n-Invest wrote:

AARP is a joke.

Interesting opinion.  While I'm not a fan of much of their lobbying activities, I did ultimately join a few years ago and have definitely benefited financially from the move.  The single largest benefit to me was insurance, our car and home insurance dropped from just over $3,000 per year to $1,100.  

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 3 of 18
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Save-n-Invest wrote:

AARP is a joke.

Interesting opinion.  While I'm not a fan of much of their lobbying activities, I did ultimately join a few years ago and have definitely benefited financially from the move.  The single largest benefit to me was insurance, our car and home insurance dropped from just over $3,000 per year to $1,100.  

+1.  They saved me a ton of money on my highly-customized ADT security system. That alone was worth years and years of annual dues!

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Save-n-Invest wrote:

AARP is a joke.

That sure is a push on all the television ads on I just save $___ on my car insurance! That is a real piece of change. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 18
House2021
Established Contributor

Horseshoez did it save you on auto and home insurance because there's an AARP owned company or how did you save so much? You have to pay dues for that discount?

Message 6 of 18
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@House2021 wrote:

Horseshoez did it save you on auto and home insurance because there's an AARP owned company or how did you save so much? You have to pay dues for that discount?

The AARP insurance for home and auto is via The Hartford, I had previously been insured by Liberty Mutual for over 20 years.  As for dues, yes, I signed up for a 5-year membership and paid something like $60, so yeah, dues of about $12 per year.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 7 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Save-n-Invest wrote:

AARP is a joke.

That sure is a push on all the television ads on I just save $___ on my car insurance! That is a real piece of change. Smiley Happy

There can be huge savings from becoming a new customer!    I had the same auto-insurance for many years (at least 20) who also covered my house.    My ex-employer also has a special program where three big companies offer deals to employees and retirees.   For some reason I cannot recall, two years ago I decided to get a quote from another company.   My auto insurance dropped from $2,200 to $700 (with a discount for belonging to another org which we already did), home insurance saw a smaller drop of about $500.

This impact  (switch insurers often) is well-known but sometimes hard to take the time to do,  but it can be impressive.

Message 8 of 18
iced
Valued Contributor

I hope they offer that much of a COLA when I retire. I can have an extra 5% of the $0 I expect to receive.

Message 9 of 18
KatSoDak
Frequent Contributor

@Save-n-Invest wrote:

AARP is a joke.

The subject of a likely COLA of +5% is being covered by organizations besides AARP.

FICO 8:

EQ FICO 9 - 770
EX FICO 9 - 758

Citi (2) | Discover | HSBC | BOA | NFCU (2) | WF (2) | Simmons Bank | FNBO (2) | PENFED | BBVA | US Bank | Lowes | Care Credit | Home Depot AU
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.