cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone used my debit card for a large purchase!

tag
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Someone used my debit card for a large purchase!

Hello Everybody!

Someone used my debit card for a $13350 purchase in Las Vegas NV on 6/14!! The bank requested I file a police report as the merchant does not agree and declined to go more into detail!

I filed the report when they requested it on 6/20, I am a general contractor in SoCal and was on a project all day 350+ miles away!, I showed the branch manager the pictures I took of the project that day, with my client saying he can vouch I was there all day!.

What can I do?. The merchant is 350+ miles away! The bank was not much help.. as of yet!

The bank is Alaska USA FCU
Message 1 of 48
47 REPLIES 47
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Someone used my debit card for a large purchase!

You just have to wait for the bank to do it's thing. Could take days to rectify, could take weeks. This is why I don't use my debit card for purchases anymore. A credit card will have it fixed in hours to a couple days. I only use my debit to pull cash if needed 

Message 2 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

So sorry.  One of my questions is how did they get a debit card purchase  approved?  I would thought merchant would require id or the bank had a max on debit card transactions? We very seldom use debit card; howeveer our bank has a $5,000 max on debit card transactions unless we call and give a ton of personal information to get it raised for 1 week.       

Sounds like either merchant or bank inside job.  Do they have pictures of the user? 

Message 3 of 48
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

The bank said they have a $5000 limit for DEBIT transactions.. the thief was clever enough to run the card as credit... so the limit is essentially whatever is in my account.

The bank said the merchant did not send pictures but showed a Florida ID! (Never been to Florida, never been to the east coast). Let my bank know that and it’s in my personal statment on my police report, I am in contact with my police department but they’re not much help...
Message 4 of 48
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

The thief used a FL ID, did not show picture to my bank
Message 5 of 48
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Creditplz wrote:
Hello Everybody!

Someone used my debit card for a $13350 purchase in Las Vegas NV on 6/14!! The bank requested I file a police report as the merchant does not agree and declined to go more into detail!

I filed the report when they requested it on 6/20, I am a general contractor in SoCal and was on a project all day 350+ miles away!, I showed the branch manager the pictures I took of the project that day, with my client saying he can vouch I was there all day!.

What can I do?. The merchant is 350+ miles away! The bank was not much help.. as of yet!

The bank is Alaska USA FCU

So sorry about this. I’m shocked that a debit card even allow that large of a

financial transaction and even more amazed that your bank approved it if this is not the norm for your account. I’m glad you filed a police report. At most banks you’re only liable for $50. Is that not the case at your banking institution. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 6 of 48
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Horrible.

I do not own a debit card for this exact reason.

Credit card or nothing for me.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 7 of 48
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I always thought how hard it would be to stop ID theft when someone has the same or similar name.

What stops Joe Smith from using Joe Smith's credit cards, checks, etc?

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 8 of 48
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

OP - be sure to follow up with the CU ASAP with a letter sent CMRR outlining the fraudulent use and a summary of your phone correspondence, including dates and approximate times. if you have the case # the police assigned to your report you can include that information as well.     

In order to preserve your legal rights you will need physical confirmation that you have officially notified them of the fraudulent use.  Phone records showing that you called them isn't sufficient.  

To follow up on a previous comment, if you notify the CU within 2 business days after noticing the fraudulent transaction, per Federal law your liability is limited to $50, if less than 60 calendar days after the statement showing the transaction your liability is limited to $500. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 9 of 48
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

Horrible.

I do not own a debit card for this exact reason.

Credit card or nothing for me.

GL!

This is Generally a Good Idea, after reading OP's post, don't ever want to have a Debit card tied to a Bank Account with Large Amonts of Dollars.

I really do not use Debit Cards, but have a couple tucked away in the safe, but they are tied to Checking accounts.

that I only keep $200-$300 in. (No Overdraft on those Accounts, so anything over The $200-$300 would be declined)

I do not like ATM's have only used one in 20 years, (Untill Recently)

to deposit a check at a co-op Credit Union To Fund Navy (NFCU) for a SSL.

I have No Local Navy Branches. and I was not at the 30 day Mark with Navy to do Mobile Deposits over The Smart Phone.

I was also Having Issues Doing A Online Transfer From US Bank to NFCU, even Us Bank could not figure it out.

So I just deposited through a CU Co-OP ATM. (No CO-OP in Branch Deposits Allowed)

I have since been successful at Linking My Chase Checking To My Navy Checking,

and Just did a successful $100.00 Test Deposit.

Fraud is Real, Protect yourself!

Message 10 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.