Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Southern California Credit Unions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Southern California Credit Unions

Thank you! I’m glad I went with Unify, everyone I’ve spoken to have been courtesy and very helpful.

Last couple months establishing new credit with 3/4 of my cards low SL, I finally get a break. I’m hoping to add an installment loan soon, that should really help my profile and then by the end of the year app for Chase’s Freedom before the 5/24 rule.
Message 21 of 29
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you! I’m glad I went with Unify, everyone I’ve spoken to have been courtesy and very helpful.

Last couple months establishing new credit with 3/4 of my cards low SL, I finally get a break. I’m hoping to add an installment loan soon, that should really help my profile and then by the end of the year app for Chase’s Freedom before the 5/24 rule.

An installment loan isn't going to help your profile at all. It only provides help to SOME people who don't already have an installment loan, then add a loan, then pay it almost all off right away.

It costs you a lot of points.... new account, reduced average age of accounts, hard pull inquiry, and more.

In your case it's going to cost you points, not earn you points.

So if you want a loan fine, but don't do it for the sake of your credit profile.

The best thing you could do for your credit profile is to apply for nothing new for a good long while. Your score will go up, up, up.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 22 of 29
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi,
I’m looking to join a local credit union here in Southern California but doing a few searches, all have fair to horrible reviews. Just to name a few LBS Financial, WESCOM, NuVision, Students First etc. In February I applied membership for DCU but my membership was denied and the reason: “Unable to adequately verify the information provided” which they did not give me a real answer so I will not be applying again since I took 2 hard pulls and got nothing out of it. I’m looking to take out a small boat loan, anyone located in the LA/Orange county have any recommendations?

Unify FCU is a great credit union. I just got the best credit card from them that I've ever seen.

Which CC did you pick up from them SJ?  Fixed rate?

Logix and I didn't get along and I'm not a difficult customer.  Their service wasn't fantastic, their mortgage product was a mess, and they didn't send proper notification over a change in policies which I was strongly tempted to take them to small claims court over but I simply  closed out all my business with them and won't be going back.

Unify seems to be pretty good but I didn't do anything with them other than opening the account.

Sadly a lot of the other CU's kinda suck around LA/OC in my and my associates' experience, though San Diego County CU was a good one in the past and I think if you even work in OC you can qualify.

I have heard very good things about SchoolsFirst and if you are eligible for them I would take it.

        
Message 23 of 29
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi,
I’m looking to join a local credit union here in Southern California but doing a few searches, all have fair to horrible reviews. Just to name a few LBS Financial, WESCOM, NuVision, Students First etc. In February I applied membership for DCU but my membership was denied and the reason: “Unable to adequately verify the information provided” which they did not give me a real answer so I will not be applying again since I took 2 hard pulls and got nothing out of it. I’m looking to take out a small boat loan, anyone located in the LA/Orange county have any recommendations?

Unify FCU is a great credit union. I just got the best credit card from them that I've ever seen.

Which CC did you pick up from them SJ?  Fixed rate?

Logix and I didn't get along and I'm not a difficult customer.  Their service wasn't fantastic, their mortgage product was a mess, and they didn't send proper notification over a change in policies which I was strongly tempted to take them to small claims court over but I simply  closed out all my business with them and won't be going back.

Unify seems to be pretty good but I didn't do anything with them other than opening the account.

Sadly a lot of the other CU's kinda suck around LA/OC in my and my associates' experience, though San Diego County CU was a good one in the past and I think if you even work in OC you can qualify.

I have heard very good things about SchoolsFirst and if you are eligible for them I would take it.

@I got the variable rate platinum @Revelate. 6.49% interest (prime + 1.74%) for purchases, cash advances, balance transfers. No balance transfer or cash advance fees. Online cash advances.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 24 of 29
23matched
New Contributor

Logix is highly rated and I would agree with the reviews. Their app is older though, and in need of a serious update. I cannot stress enough how bad American 1st CU in LaHabra is. Customer service is horrible, their app is flakey,  Even deposits through their app goes through a manual process, whereass with Logix my funds are available immediately up to $1500. 

Message 25 of 29
wwalter2718
Established Member

I would second donny10 elsewhere in the thread:   Don't even consider Logix credit union.  I just had the least satisfactory CS experience with them that I can recall (excepting Verizon, who will always rate #1 jerks, no contest 8-(   )

I joined Logix a month or two ago with the idea of eventually applying for the no-fee BT card.   In the meantime, my Insight 5% savings account was being discontinued so I had $5K to put somewhere else until using it to pay down another 0% BT I have that's expiring soon.

I set up the link to the Insight account, verified the trial deposits/debits (don't recall which combo it was for Logix) and did a small transfer from Insight to Logix in June to get ready for 7/1/18, when Insight went away.  This all worked fine.  But on 7/1 or so, when I went to empty Insight, Logix' hypersensitive fraud team locked me out of my account and refused the ACH until I could send them 2 months of statements from Insight.  

Well, I declined to go through that because I had already verified my ownership of the Insight account and even pulled some money from it.  I simply shifted the transfer to Alliant credit union (with whom I have so far had zero problems; I recommend them in general, though I don't think they offer any no-fee/0% BT cards any more).  So, once the transfer was canceled, I hoped I could at least get online access to my existing account and go on from there.  Well, NOPE.  Either I send them statements from Insight or I'm locked out forever.  

OK, then cancel my membership and send me the money (they seemed to agree that I could at least have that), and forget I ever asked...  I, for one, will never think of them again. 

Bottom line:  Stay away from Logix.  Consider Alliant or some other institution willing to conduct banking transactions without the extra anal probe...

That said, the CS rep was pleasant enough ...  

Message 26 of 29
BurgeoningHope
Frequent Contributor

I realize the OP's problem has been solved; I'm dropping this here for others who may be interested in the topic:

I've been a member of the Golden 1 CU for many years now, and I notice they've recently opened up their field of membership to all Californians (live or work), and non-Californians who belong to one of their SEGs (including many university alumni groups) OR who are willing to join the "Financial Fitness Association" 

https://www.golden1.com/Membership/default

Message 27 of 29
heyryan
Frequent Contributor

@BurgeoningHope wrote:

I realize the OP's problem has been solved; I'm dropping this here for others who may be interested in the topic:

I've been a member of the Golden 1 CU for many years now, and I notice they've recently opened up their field of membership to all Californians (live or work), and non-Californians who belong to one of their SEGs (including many university alumni groups) OR who are willing to join the "Financial Fitness Association" 

One caveat to the "open" membership, unless they've changed their policies, is that they won't issue credit products to members outside of CA. You can get deposit products, but not a LoC or CC.

Personal:

Business:

(TU Split File - FIXED!)
Message 28 of 29
BurgeoningHope
Frequent Contributor

@heyryan wrote:

@BurgeoningHope wrote:

One caveat to the "open" membership, unless they've changed their policies, is that they won't issue credit products to members outside of CA. You can get deposit products, but not a LoC or CC.

True, and that bit me in the butt a couple of years-ish ago. I'd hope that they've revisited that policy now that you can apply directly from outside the state without having had any connection to the California. But you're absolutely right, and it's something I'd check on if their credit products are of interest. They do have a not-horrible secured card, and an odd hybrid of lower-than-usual, but not super-low, interest rate paired with a 3% restaurants/gas/groceries / 1% everything else, with no max on the 3% categories.

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.