Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Square cash now works at Trader Joes

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Square cash now works at Trader Joes

I've been a happy user of this card at Whole Foods, where you get 10% off.   They have recently added Trader Joes as a boost as well, same terms, 10% off up to $75 spend, and this limit can be used every 30 minutes.  (And for those more into fast food, still has the discounts on Chick-Fil-A, Taco Bell, Chipotle, 5 guys and coffee shops).    For cash back, if you use these places, probably best in class.  While it lasts!

Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Square cash now works at Trader Joes

Laugh since I am sitting at a Chipotle as I type this if I weren’t being good for other reasons and if I were pursuing a cashback strategy, I would definitely chase this.

        
Message 2 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:
Laugh since I am sitting at a Chipotle as I type this if I weren’t being good for other reasons and if I were pursuing a cashback strategy, I would definitely chase this.

There’s no chasing. It’s a debit card. No credit check or anything. You just get the Cash App and request the debit card, select the offer you want to use and off you go. 

I ordered mine but haven’t used it yet because they have messed up my name twice now... it’s got my first name, last initial, suffix. Smiley Frustrated

Message 3 of 44
JaseT
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

There’s no chasing. It’s a debit card. No credit check or anything. You just get the Cash App and request the debit card, select the offer you want to use and off you go. 

I ordered mine but haven’t used it yet because they have messed up my name twice now... it’s got my first name, last initial, suffix. Smiley Frustrated

I got the Cash App Debit card (thanks to Saeren!) and used it at Taco Bell. With the added $5 Boost, I paid 71 cents for my meal. Win!!

BK7 Filed 12/16, Discharged 3/17 *** Current Revolving CL Total $122.1k *** PIF/AZEO
6/19 FICO SCORES:
On My Radar Cards: Nothing ATM
Future Goal Cards: US Bank Cash +, Citi Double Cash, Discover It, BoA Cash Rewards, USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex
Message 4 of 44
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Any issues stacking it with the Chipotle app loyalty program?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 44
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Any issues stacking it with the Chipotle app loyalty program?

Unless the loyalty program requires a specific payment method, probably not.

The way the card works appears to be transparent to the merchant.  Basically

1) You link a bank account to the app.

2) With the app you load money on to the debit card

3) You use the debit card to pay the merchant.   If the bill is say $15, the merchant POS will sho2 a charge of $15

4) If the merchant is the one of your active boost, your app account is charged only $13.50, with square eating the rest.   So not cashback as much as instant discount

So some nice features, including the debit card doesn't have access to all of your bank account, only the (small) account you have loaded to the card.   The app loads the card almost instantly, so if you don't have enough at checkout, it's very easy to fix.

I am still somewhat surprised at the generosity of the rewards.  In just a few months, we've got about $900 back.   Apparently the plan is that people will start using the card at all sorts of places.   Seems unlikely to me, but today, by mistake, I used the card at Petsmart (instead of the dying breath of Paypal Debit!) losing about 80c....   

Message 6 of 44
SBR249
Established Contributor

I like the fact that Square embosses your signature onto the front of the debit card and on a pure matte black background, it's super classy. The 10% CB boosts are just cherries on top Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like I will be using mine today!

207F225D-634D-4E21-A146-8A3782818B58.jpeg

10% off Kroger? Yes please! I’ll use the instant boost today though since I only have ~$35 worth of shopping to do. 

I am assuming that Kroger is for any of the Kroger family of stores since it wouldn’t make sense to show this offer to someone who has King Soopers instead. 

If they keep this up, my NFCU Amex will never get any use lol. 

Message 8 of 44
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I'm having issues linking my bank account. If I load with a CC, do I earn CC rewards? Would it get treated as a cash advance?

Are any of my issuers (Amex, Barclays, Chase, Citi, CapOne, Discover) especially accepting of or averse to loading the app?

Looks like there is a 3% fee to pay with a CC, but if I get rewards and no interest or cash advance fees it's worth it for the discounts.

Or can I not add cash from any source until the physical card arrives?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 9 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have to verify first. Tap the Cash Support option and hit verify. It will have you scan your driver’s license. You can’t use the app for anything until you do that. 

I would assume CCs will code as a cash advance. 

Message 10 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.