Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Square cash now works at Trader Joes

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Square cash now works at Trader Joes

It loads off a debit card. I would be curious to see if it codes as signature or pinless debit though because if it codes as signature, it would be possible to earn 1% back from the PayPal Business Debit along the way. 

Message 21 of 44
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It loads off a debit card. I would be curious to see if it codes as signature or pinless debit though because if it codes as signature, it would be possible to earn 1% back from the PayPal Business Debit along the way. 

That is a very interesting idea!   I found it clunky to change the payment source in the past, so I don't want to try, unless someone else has success....   But probably pinless debit.

Message 22 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That is a very interesting idea!   I found it clunky to change the payment source in the past, so I don't want to try, unless someone else has success....   But probably pinless debit.

I am sure it does too and considering the hassle I went through getting my account verified in the first place, I don’t wanna rock the boat so I am cool how it is now. Besides that would add another step - 1stBank to PayPal to DCU to Cash App via DCU Debit vs 1stBank Zelle to DCU Debit to Cash App. 

Message 23 of 44
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I am sure it does too and considering the hassle I went through getting my account verified in the first place, I don’t wanna rock the boat so I am cool how it is now. Besides that would add another step - 1stBank to PayPal to DCU to Cash App via DCU Debit vs 1stBank Zelle to DCU Debit to Cash App. 

In the interest of science, and driven by greed in case it worked, I tried it.   Don't even get to the sig/pinless debit issue as it won't allow me to add the card as "The issuer charges cardholders additional fees".   Not sure if that is true (debit cash advance fee?)  

Message 24 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like they predicted people would try this with cash back debit. I wonder if Discover’s gets kicked too. 

Message 25 of 44
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@iced wrote:

I assume the card has to be loaded from a checking/savings account (routing/account number)? I can't load it via CC payment?

As appealing as something like 10% is off of my $25/week Chipotle addiction, I think I'd still rather have 75 UR than $2.50.

Looks like they do now support loading from a credit card, but with a 3% fee.   Since loading the card presumably only gives 1x UR, you would end up with 25 UR and about $2.40    Probably still not a win for you!   That's assuming the credit card views it as a transaction rather than a cash advance

Message 26 of 44
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sounds like they predicted people would try this with cash back debit. I wonder if Discover’s gets kicked too. 

Why would they care, unless they get charged more for even the pinless debit transaction?

Message 27 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don’t know, why do they do anything? To make life more difficult on us! Smiley Tongue

Message 28 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I think this card is getting the chop. I loaded it this morning, which took three tries to get it to go through and also involved a bounced Zelle from my primary checking that has now left me with a $6.19 balance due to the pending $50 that apparently takes a day to be returned, set the boost to Kroger, and the transaction at King Soopers posted without the boost. I have a call back request in with customer service and if they don’t give it to me, I’m cutting up the card. Kroger should mean all of the Kroger stores, especially since Kroger doesn’t have Kroger stores here because Colorado knows the King Soopers name. 

Message 29 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well... they have excellent customer service for transactions. The guy that called me knew exactly what had happened, credited me the boost and sent a message off to their back end to get King Soopers transactions coded as Kroger going forward since it is one of the Kroger family of stores. 

He also said if I have any other problems, send another ticket and it will get sent to him. So I guess I will keep using it as long as the boost is there after all. Didn’t expect to get a customer service rep that good. 

Message 30 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.