Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Square cash now works at Trader Joes

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Square cash now works at Trader Joes

@Anonymous wrote:

Well... they have excellent customer service for transactions. The guy that called me knew exactly what had happened, credited me the boost and sent a message off to their back end to get King Soopers transactions coded as Kroger going forward since it is one of the Kroger family of stores. 

He also said if I have any other problems, send another ticket and it will get sent to him. So I guess I will keep using it as long as the boost is there after all. Didn’t expect to get a customer service rep that good. 

Yes, I saw that people were quite pleased with the response when their coffee place didn't get the $1 boost, very easy to get the boost and the store added.

What's nice is they take responsibility for the coding.   Most other issuers would at least begin with telling you that it is up to the merchant how they code...

Message 31 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well... they have excellent customer service for transactions. The guy that called me knew exactly what had happened, credited me the boost and sent a message off to their back end to get King Soopers transactions coded as Kroger going forward since it is one of the Kroger family of stores. 

He also said if I have any other problems, send another ticket and it will get sent to him. So I guess I will keep using it as long as the boost is there after all. Didn’t expect to get a customer service rep that good. 

Yes, I saw that people were quite pleased with the response when their coffee place didn't get the $1 boost, very easy to get the boost and the store added.

What's nice is they take responsibility for the coding.   Most other issuers would at least begin with telling you that it is up to the merchant how they code...

Yeah he was awesome to be honest. He said that he knew what it was from my message because he ran into it when Panera was on there. Apparently they are called something else in St Louis and he didn’t get his boost so he had to have them add it. 

The only real complaints I have seen are around verification (which I personally went through and can tell you it’s horrible) and getting blocked for excessive bitcoin trading (which I won’t be doing). Emailing customer service is also a bit of a nightmare but the phone call was fine. 

Message 32 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I need to contact them about QFC. It is a Kroger owned store that I’m not getting the boost for. I also want to ask them about Trader Joe’s. TJ is huge out here but it’s not in my app.

I’m also going to try loading from DSC to get the extra 1%.

Message 33 of 44
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

FWIW:  the Trader Joe's boost has been reduced to 5% (so less interesting!)  Others are still at 10%

Message 34 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Kroger boost still doesn’t code right at King Soopers. Had to call them for it. 

Then I got an email from their verification team today. Mind you I have been using the card for two weeks now. They apologized for the delay and said they would get back to me within 5 days. 

I emailed them back and said I have already been verified and asked why I had to do it again, they responded with the same email but changed the 5 days to we see you are already verified. 

It doesnt inspire a lot of confidence in them at this point but as long as the 10% Kroger boost is there and they keep giving it to me when I send a support ticket, I’ll keep using it. 

Message 35 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I knew it wouldn’t last. 10% on groceries is insane. First they dropped the Kroger and Whole Fodds discount to 5% and now they removed them completely. They added Jimmy Johns and Subway. Makes sense since there is no way they were not losing money with the grocery stores at 10%. You could buy up to $75. Swipe fees are not going to make up for that, I’m still hoping they add Trader Joe’s in my region.

Message 36 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah it’s still in my app, when I went to go switch it from Kroger, it warned me that once changed it’s gone for good. 

Its cool that they are letting me keep it for now although honestly I think I’ll just go to using my More Rewards since I don’t have to call anyone to get my missing dollars every time I use that... Was nice for sure though. 

Message 37 of 44
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Has anyone tried this with discover debit (or any other that gives money for debit) for an extra 1%?   I was unable to add Paypal Business Debit, but recently I got it to work with Aspire Summit debit card, which gives 0.5% on  these transactions  (it gives more on some "social good" purchases, but this apparently doesn't count).   So an extra 0.5% is nice, 1% would be even nicer, but I don't have a discover checking account.

Message 38 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I retired the card. I actually just requested to cash out my last $8.15 to DCU yesterday. The boosts change too much and I got left with a really bad taste in my mouth having to call them to get my Kroger boost manually paid — I never actually changed away from the Kroger boost so it’s still on my card with no listed expiration but I just use my More Rewards. Far less work. 

Message 39 of 44
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I retired the card. I actually just requested to cash out my last $8.15 to DCU yesterday. The boosts change too much and I got left with a really bad taste in my mouth having to call them to get my Kroger boost manually paid — I never actually changed away from the Kroger boost so it’s still on my card with no listed expiration but I just use my More Rewards. Far less work. 

Yes, my daughter switched one time to Trader Joes and then found that WholeFoods was only 5% (same as Amazon Prime card).   But I've left mine with WholeFoods, still getting 10%, so still very worthwhile for me, plus now the extra 0.5%!

Message 40 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.