cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starbucks PRE-PAID Debit Visa by Chase.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Starbucks PRE-PAID Debit Visa by Chase.

Wow. They let her keep the CSP, but the prePaid is not ok? Very odd thinking, imo.

I'm going to lose gold in a couple months if I visit a time or two. The card might be a good option.

wrote:
@meanmchine

I would say no.

My fiancé was recently blacklisted from the banking side of chase due to adding me as a joint account holder on her checking account. The checking account was closed.

She opened a Starbucks prepaid visa 2 weeks later just to keep Starbucks gold status for free. It was closed 2 days later

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dumb question... Is an app for a prepaid card a HP or SP, or neither because it isn't actually credit if prepaid?

The prePcard would be a fast, free (not having to buy coffee) way to maintain Gold status. But I'm really thinking it isn't worth it. Definitely not if a HP.

edit... and, no use for the card except Gold. Probably not even buying at Starbucks, lots of $ left on gift cards.

Message 12 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Dumb question... Is an app for a prepaid card a HP or SP, or neither because it isn't actually credit if prepaid?

The prePcard would be a fast, free (not having to buy coffee) way to maintain Gold status. But I'm really thinking it isn't worth it. Definitely not if a HP.

edit... and, no use for the card except Gold. Probably not even buying at Starbucks, lots of $ left on gift cards.

In the DoC post, there is a comment saying that starbucks said it wasn't an HP.  But....I applied (logged into Chase) earlier today and got denied because of information in my Experian report.   I'm assuming that this is because my EXP is frozen, and I didn't get notified of an HP. But there were checking something...  

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous @longtimelurker

Interesting. So if we have credit frozen... they just deny, HP can't hit at later time when unfrozen? Right? Chase is freakin HP happy. In November they will be my only inquires x5. Smiley Sad

Hmmm... Is an app for a prePaid card, w/no HP, breaking Gardening rules?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

In the DoC post, there is a comment saying that starbucks said it wasn't an HP.  But....I applied (logged into Chase) earlier today and got denied because of information in my Experian report.   I'm assuming that this is because my EXP is frozen, and I didn't get notified of an HP. But there were checking something...  

Message 14 of 16
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

I'm a bit late to comment on this thread but I just wonder how much "free float cash" Starbucks and their enablers are banking on unused SB gift card balances, lost or forgotten SB gift cards, prepaid phone app balances (mine charges $50 in advance every time the balance gets below $10), the recently introduced Chase-SB Visa (AF and or royalty) and now a "prepaid" debit card.

Overall the "Bank of Starbucks" is getting a LOT of interest-free money just on the float of these products, let alone the "unused or lost" cards.  

Message 15 of 16
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

Well, here is an old article that says Starbucks had over $1.2 billion in cash sitting on giftcards and rewards. This is insane for just coffee. I am not sure without getting ahold of their annual statement. I am sure millions go unclaimed or the rewards expire(nice cash flow for the company i guess

@pipeguy wrote:

I'm a bit late to comment on this thread but I just wonder how much "free float cash" Starbucks and their enablers are banking on unused SB gift card balances, lost or forgotten SB gift cards, prepaid phone app balances (mine charges $50 in advance every time the balance gets below $10), the recently introduced Chase-SB Visa (AF and or royalty) and now a "prepaid" debit card.

Overall the "Bank of Starbucks" is getting a LOT of interest-free money just on the float of these products, let alone the "unused or lost" cards.  

)

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/starbucks-has-more-customer-money-on-cards-than-many-banks-have-in...

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.