Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State Department FCU Membership

tag
Newtoficoforum
New Visitor

State Department FCU Membership

I've tried for two years to apply for membership with State Department FCU. They have denied membership application each time because I have an active extended fraud alert attached to my credit report.  State Department FCU was able to pull checksystems, a credit bureau report, and have copies of all my IDS. I was even will to visit a branch personally to verify my identity.  However, they insist I remove the fraud alert before they will process my membership.  

Extended fraud alerts aren't easy to get.  They claim their system cannot process an application with a fraud alert.  Has anyone ever had this problem with State Department FCU or any other credit union? I've gotten credit cards and joined other credit unions since the fraud alert was added to my file and none have asked me to remove the alert as a requirement to process their application.

thanks

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: State Department FCU Membership

@Newtoficoforum wrote:

I've tried for two years to apply for membership with State Department FCU. They have denied membership application each time because I have an active extended fraud alert attached to my credit report.  State Department FCU was able to pull checksystems, a credit bureau report, and have copies of all my IDS. I was even will to visit a branch personally to verify my identity.  However, they insist I remove the fraud alert before they will process my membership.  

Extended fraud alerts aren't easy to get.  They claim their system cannot process an application with a fraud alert.  Has anyone ever had this problem with State Department FCU or any other credit union? I've gotten credit cards and joined other credit unions since the fraud alert was added to my file and none have asked me to remove the alert as a requirement to process their application.

thanks

I want to ask you a question:   Why do you care what SDFCU wants if it is more invasive than other credit unions?    

I got their secured card shortly after filing/discharge from bankruptcy.   I deposited $500.   It helped me and today I have $300K in available credit and no debt.   (I will add that they are one of the only CU's that charges a monthly fee for their checking account and mine ate itself up).

But nobody ever talks about SDFCU's wonderful rewards program or 0% balance transfers -- or anything.   They are a completely "meh" credit union.   Go to Navy if you can and Penfed even if you can't get into Navy.    Or do both Navy and Penfed.    

SDFCU is no better than common street trash.   What is the allure?   

Message 2 of 9
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Newtoficoforum,

As a member of SDFCU, let me tell you that this CU works exactly like the government. If you think you're having a hard time joining,think of some of the hoops you will have to apply for loans. Their rates are good, but honestly you can get the same exact rates elsewhere. 

What products are you looking for? Maybe we can help you. 

Guyatthebeach

Message 3 of 9
Newtoficoforum
New Visitor

I was interested in the CDs. That's the only reason I wanted to join. Note:  I'm a member of PenFed, NFCU, DOCFCU, Andrews FCU, and Transportation FCU. 

Message 4 of 9
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Newtoficoforum,

Now I understand why you are interested in SDCFU. They do have certificate rates a few base points higher than other CU's.  After you have a NFCU Special easy start CD, rates like that are hard to find. Look at Redstone FCU, they have a Bright Savings account where you earn 2.0% for the first $2500, but their CD rates are in line with other CU's. Also BECU has a savings and checking account that earns 0.5% APR with no minimum.  Take a look at bank rate's website. They have a tracker for the best rates available.

Hope this helps.  

Guyatthebeach

Message 5 of 9
Newtoficoforum
New Visitor

thanks

Message 6 of 9
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Alliant FCU is paying 0.55% APY for their regular savings.   That's where I have my cash on hand and they are an exerpt transfer hub.

Message 7 of 9
Newtoficoforum
New Visitor

Thanks. I like to keep my money in 5-year CDs.  SDFCU typically has attractive 5-year CD rates.  That's why I've been trying to get accepted as a member for 2 years.  They are the only credit union that I can't get approved with. I'm baffled as to why they insist a fraud alert be removed. I'm a member of multiple credit unions and none have asked me to do such a thing.  

Message 8 of 9
frugal47374
Regular Contributor

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

But nobody ever talks about SDFCU's wonderful rewards program or 0% balance transfers -- or anything.   

"Nobody", checking in here.  I get an offer once a year for 0% balance transfers.  Write a check for my credit limit to deposit in one of my accounts and use it to reap the rewards of free money for a year.  And then repeat.

Very happy with that aspect of a credit card with them.  Also liked the PIN priority chip for previous foreign travel.  Willing to put up with less than ideal backend systems for this.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.