Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Question

tag
babbles
Established Contributor

Tax Question

Got a letter from the IRS which scares me when I see a letter coming from them especially since I just filed and received a refund only about 3 weeks ago.  They wanted to know exactly when my wife deployed last year to her combat zone and orders.  Stated they need this info by 2 May in order to receive any tax deferrent benefits.  We file with turbo tax each year and when she previously deployed twice before we just fill out the info as requested in turbo tax with no problems.  This is the first year they've asked for this info and I faxed back the documents later that day.  Also stated if not received then we would be subject to collection action for any taxes, interest, or penalites.  Dosen't  this really sound like they want to collect something back anyway if it were for our benefit?  Thanks for any replies!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Tax Question

@babbles wrote:

Got a letter from the IRS which scares me when I see a letter coming from them especially since I just filed and received a refund only about 3 weeks ago.  They wanted to know exactly when my wife deployed last year to her combat zone and orders.  Stated they need this info by 2 May in order to receive any tax deferrent benefits.  We file with turbo tax each year and when she previously deployed twice before we just fill out the info as requested in turbo tax with no problems.  This is the first year they've asked for this info and I faxed back the documents later that day.  Also stated if not received then we would be subject to collection action for any taxes, interest, or penalites.  Dosen't  this really sound like they want to collect something back anyway if it were for our benefit?  Thanks for any replies!

With the changes in the tax law, who can really say. You may end up getting more money back. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.