Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxes, Paid but didn't Filed, yet.

tag
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Taxes, Paid but didn't Filed, yet.

Hey guys, I paid my taxes last night but I'm confused with how this all works and it's getting overwhelming... I made $35K last year so I'm eligible for free filing, I did it with H&R block online, however when it says how I wanted to pay my state tax, I paid $260 instead of $37... Reason why I did it was because I wanted to get rewards from credit cards of course. But, now I'm thinking about doing a charge back if they didn't file it cause after I paid, it still tells me that I need to file it. But it doesn't make any sense. The 2 options, they had were paper check and routing. But for some reason, the state one sent me to pay via credit card. If I paid, does that mean I filed it?

I'm starting to regret paying with a credit card, I think it would be easier if they just took it out of my checking account and calling it a day. But 1040.com won't issue a refund, so I guess I will do a charge back if necessary. Or what I could do is just use a free w2 filing service, where I just file without having to pay nor pay my balance in order to file.

Please help, thanks! They audited me $800 last year just because I changed addresses. So **bleep** stupid... I hate the IRS.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Taxes, Paid but didn't Filed, yet.

I have never used H+R block, but paying and filing taxes are two different animals.

I'd look into what you actually did in the interface: most e-filing solutions generally have a record of when taxes were filed so that's your first avenue.  Secondly some states have the ability to see online what you have done too for a given tax year.

        
Message 2 of 10
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

I don't think I'm going to pay using a credit card anymore, but I just filed thru them for free. I will be doing a charge back on the transaction tho.
Message 3 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@TheBoondocks wrote:
I don't think I'm going to pay using a credit card anymore, but I just filed thru them for free. I will be doing a charge back on the transaction tho.

Federal or Cali taxes I would do via a credit card but not through H+R block or my own Turbotax that I use: file there, pay through one of the online gateways for either arbitrage or SUB chasing (or both I guess in some cases).

I would guess most states and even counties have similar things for paying their taxes online.

        
Message 4 of 10
SBR249
Established Contributor

I would recommend against doing a chargeback. It's likely that any payments you've made have already been given to the government (state and IRS) minus the cut that the website may have charged. Meaning that if you file a chargeback, you'll most likely lose because the website already provided the service you paid for. 

What you need to do (if you haven't filed your taxes yet and you think you overpaid), is to check that those payments have indeed been forwarded to the government. Then you'll need to list those payments on your tax return on the line for taxes already paid. Then, if you overpaid, you can claim a refund and if it's not an overpayment, then you won't have to pay that sum again when you file. 

As mentioned before, paying your taxes and filing your taxes are 2 different things. The former is actually giving the government the money you are supposed to. The latter is telling the government how much you think you owe them and how much you've paid/still need to pay/should be refunded. They are completely different things. 

Long story short, you need to check where your money ended up. If it's already with the government, a chargeback won't help. And if it's not an overpayment, you won't be able to get it back either. 

Message 5 of 10
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

i just paid 2 days ago, but I filed today. I guess I overpaid then. They're suppose to send me a refund check automatically right?
Message 6 of 10
SBR249
Established Contributor

@TheBoondocks wrote:
i just paid 2 days ago, but I filed today. I guess I overpaid then. They're suppose to send me a refund check automatically right?

It depends. Some states will double check your calculations and if you've made a mistake or overpaid on your account, they will send you a refund check automatically. Some states may not. I don't know about the IRS. 

But if you paid before you filed and didn't list the payment on your tax return on the line for tax payments, you may need to file an amended tax return to claim that refund. 

Message 7 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@TheBoondocks wrote:

I think what you were suggesting that you were supposed to pay according to your filing is $X, but what you actually paid was $X+Y ?

Yes you should get $Y back I believe but I never tried overpaying TBH nor heard of that as a strategy for obtaining SUB's.

        
Message 8 of 10
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Just paying in general, not for bonuses or anything like that. I thought it was for the prior year, I didn't think it would be separate from state and federal.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

As said before filing and paying not the same. I have never used the Block program I use turbo tax.  For paying I using and use to  tell my clients when  I had an active cpa tax practise  the portals provided by feds/state.  Never reverse the charge on the credit card.  Some states will refund over pay without asking others no yrmv.  I have to file mutliple state returns and have a running battle with one for  less than $100.

Their numbers and turbo tax were not the same one year.   I doubt i will ever see the $100 and it would cost more than $100 of my time to fix. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.