Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tesla - Buy or Sell ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tesla - Buy or Sell ?

Someone else looking at Tesla for renewable stocks? 

Here are my pros and cons to be considered right now:

Pro:

Tesla is doing well getting problems solved and more public stations are only a matter of time.

(Mod cut - not here please. Please reference TOS guidance) Tesla, a leading producer, will most likely take advantage and become much more famous.

Con:

But Tesla is also known for speculative business planning and treating workers not fair, which could increase costs long term (Mod cut)

Tesla has made massive gains from around 100$ to 400$ recently. It seems to be a little bit overvalued.

So, what is your opinion:

Tesla - Buy or Sell ?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
TGG_1976
Contributor

Re: Tesla - Buy or Sell ?

I do not have much advise on Tesla, I am personally not a fan of Elon Smiley Happy But I have owned stock for over a decade, through company euqity and personal investments. The one advise I would give ... never associate politics and stock market. There is really no correlation between the two. Stock markets may go up or down due to a political change, but that is a short-term reaction.  (Mod cut - not here please.  See above post for TOS guidance link)  Do not try to time the market either. 

The question you should ask yourself, did TSLA have a good track record over the past years to indicate continuous growth? Do you think the technology has market value? If so, keep the stock. It's a long game.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

In general, future seems very bright for Tesla but the huge spike since January looks very discouraging. Difficult to say if there will be a dip or price will keep increasing. 

I expect a lot from ecological technologie but if it's possible to buy TSLA much cheaper some timer later, I would be happy. Of course, I'm bad at TA. ^^

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

All it takes it for a solar flare to take out the grid and all those electric cars are now junk. So nothing is ever certain. Speaking honestly though we're about due for a massive flare in the next 100 years or so, could ne next year could be not in you lifetime. 

All it takes it for that one Company's kryptonite to hit for them to take a massive dive that may or may not be recoverable. 

Message 4 of 6
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Someone else looking at Tesla for renewable stocks? 

Here are my pros and cons to be considered right now:

Pro:

Tesla is doing well getting problems solved and more public stations are only a matter of time.

(Mod cut - not here please. Please reference TOS guidance) Tesla, a leading producer, will most likely take advantage and become much more famous.

Con:

But Tesla is also known for speculative business planning and treating workers not fair, which could increase costs long term (Mod cut)

Tesla has made massive gains from around 100$ to 400$ recently. It seems to be a little bit overvalued.

So, what is your opinion:

Tesla - Buy or Sell ?

Me personally, if I didn't own any today, I'd stay away. If I owned, I'd hold for another 20% or so then sell most of it (I always like to keep a little of everything I buy). If I wasn't a long buyer and I bought at under $1,000 ($200 post-split), I'd be locking in profits soon before the bubble bursts.

As a company, Tesla's doing ok. They've had some supply problems they seem to be working through, but they still have a long ways to go to be one of the largest automakers in the world. You wouldn't know that looking at their stock though -- they already have a higher valuation than any other automaker (more than many of them combined in fact), which is VERY optimistic for this company. Their P/E is over 800, and that's not even baking in their expected ~10% jump today on the news of S&P inclusion. That's going to take years of crazy growth and earnings smashing to live up to.

The price today is about 30% market value, 30% short-seller bets, and 40% cult of Musk optimism that it's the next Amazon or Google. The problem is everyone and their mother already got in on this one, so unless you bought 1-2 years ago this train's already left the station.

Message 5 of 6
New Contributor

I am long and will continue to add on pullbacks.  My strategy is to trade around my longterm, core position.  even if you don't own it today, I think you can buy in 25% traunches in the future.  sure, the gains might not run 10x from here, but it's still a good company to take up 5-10% of your portfolio depending on who you are.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.