Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Covid-19 impact

tag
jetsfan2013
Frequent Contributor

The Covid-19 impact

Has the current/potential future economic uncertainity made you alter any decisions regarding your personal finances in 2020? I have decided to continue to focus on plowing through the remaining non-real estate debt I have, while staying faithfully in the garden the balance of the year, and holding off on a few home improvement projects until we get through this.

A vacation that was scheduled for early May has also been scrapped and likely pushed to 2021.

Road to rebuilding starts soon
Message 1 of 57
56 REPLIES 56
iced
Valued Contributor

Re: The Covid-19 impact

@jetsfan2013 wrote:

Has the current/potential future economic uncertainity made you alter any decisions regarding your personal finances in 2020? I have decided to continue to focus on plowing through the remaining non-real estate debt I have, while staying faithfully in the garden the balance of the year, and holding off on a few home improvement projects until we get through this.

A vacation that was scheduled for early May has also been scrapped and likely pushed to 2021.

Finance-wise, it's made me more eager to buy stock than I was going into the year. Our income streams are unaffected by the outbreak, and we already had about 2 years worth of expenses in cash on hand, so it's business as usual for our family.

We're still buying plane tickets and making hotel reservations, and as the dates draw near the decisions can be made to cancel or fly. Not going to paralyze future plans on the chance they'll be cancelled; instead, I'll just go business as usual until it's 100% certain they will need to be cancelled and address them then.

Message 2 of 57
CAS2019
Frequent Contributor

@jetsfan2013 wrote:

I'm doing the same.  Fortunately, I don't have massive debt so all (except mortgage) will be paid off in a couple of months.  I'll continue to garden.

Starting Score: 784
Current Score: 784
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Club Member" border="0" width="50" height="67" align="right">

Message 3 of 57
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@jetsfan2013 wrote:

Has the current/potential future economic uncertainity made you alter any decisions regarding your personal finances in 2020?

I'm struggling.....today is the first Friday ever that I cannot seem to make myself PIF anything. Just staring, wondering, and thinking what's a good game plan.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 4 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am just going to keep carrying on like usual. Same size payments towards my revolving balances that I have been making for months so I don't spook my creditors with a panic reaction while I continue to throw money into my DCU savings. I will probably extend my savings goal from $1K to $1500. I wish I could make it higher but I have Medicaid so I can't have more than $2K in assets. 

I don't expect this crisis to affect me much. Both of my roommates have jobs that should be safe and I'm on SSDI so those checks should keep coming. Groceries will probably get inflated again when everything is over which would hit me pretty hard but I'm good at budgeting so I can figure it out. I feel for the people who are going to be struggling though. 

Message 5 of 57
FlaDude
Established Contributor

Unless there is a widespread recession, I don't expect any effects on my income, so I'm staying the plan of paying off my debt. That should take about 11 more months. Whatever happens in the future, it will be easier to handle without debt.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 6 of 57
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am just going to keep carrying on like usual. Same size payments towards my revolving balances that I have been making for months so I don't spook my creditors with a panic reaction while I continue to throw money into my DCU savings. I will probably extend my savings goal from $1K to $1500. I wish I could make it higher but I have Medicaid so I can't have more than $2K in assets. 

I don't expect this crisis to affect me much. Both of my roommates have jobs that should be safe and I'm on SSDI so those checks should keep coming. Groceries will probably get inflated again when everything is over which would hit me pretty hard but I'm good at budgeting so I can figure it out. 

I was thinking about you as I posted above.  I don't want to continue pif'ing....trying to hang on to some $$$$ a little bit more, yet I do worry about spooking my Banks.  It's that budgeting aspect, a new budget, that I'm struggling with.  When in doubt; don't.....so I'm just trying to decide how to hang on to some extra $ while appeasing my banks over the next few months at least.  Thoughts?

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 7 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GApeachy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't expect this crisis to affect me much. Both of my roommates have jobs that should be safe and I'm on SSDI so those checks should keep coming. Groceries will probably get inflated again when everything is over which would hit me pretty hard but I'm good at budgeting so I can figure it out. 

I was thinking about you as I posted above.  I don't want to continue pif'ing....trying to hang on to some $$$$ a little bit more, yet I do worry about spooking my Banks.  It's that budgeting aspect, a new budget, that I'm struggling with.  When in doubt; don't.....so I'm just trying to decide how to hang on to some extra $ while appeasing my banks over the next few months at least.  Thoughts?

Do what's best for you and don't worry about what the banks do. Banks gonna be banks regardless. As long as you don't default on anything, you'll be able to make up any losses in limits or cards later. If you're concerned about PIF, don't do it. 

Message 8 of 57
jetsfan2013
Frequent Contributor

I had a family member who is under contract to buy their first home sound pretty stressed about the virus, as they work for a large hotel chain in sales, and feels the pressure from the top.

Road to rebuilding starts soon
Message 9 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jetsfan2013 wrote:

I had a family member who is under contract to buy their first home sound pretty stressed about the virus, as they work for a large hotel chain in sales, and feels the pressure from the top.

Yeah anyone in hotels or travel is very nervous right now. Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.