Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Quest for an SSL alternative to Alliant

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Quest for an SSL alternative to Alliant

Ideal is out.

@AnonymousThank you for your interest in Ideal Credit Union. At this time we do not support the capability to open membership through the online channel four out-of-state applicants. A signed paper, notarized copy with valid driver’s license will need to be supplied before processing the application. Because you are outside of our geographical area, a minimum $5.00 donation to the John Miller scholarship and account funding is required in addition to meeting other membership qualifying guidelines.  FYI, a monthly low balance is assessed to accounts that do not maintain a balance of $200 or greater and do not have another qualifying service with us.

With respect to Shared Secured Loan, we offer this loan product to members with active checking accounts.  At this time, you don’t qualify for the Shared Secured Loan based on that.  We know that many other credit unions (some in your local area) offer this product.

Ideal has noticed an uptick of shared secured loan inquiries from out of state applicants, which is unusual for our organization. We believe this is stemming from user-based content postings online at the link below. Ideal CU does not manage this content and is not able to correct it with the true terms and qualifications required for a shared secured loan.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/The-Quest-for-an-SSL-alternative-to-Alliant/td-p/5162448

Feel free to contact me with any additional questions.

Message 101 of 468
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  Yeah, it looks like a lot of people called them and asked their cust serv reps questions about the SSL and paying it down.  We always discourage that but it looks like it happened anyway.  So they changed the policies they gave me in my initial call to them.

It looks like I will need to do all the legwork myself (in terms of scouting out options) all before mentioning them on the forum... and when I do I will need to create another step by step guidance that explicitly and sharply warns people not to deluge CSRs with questions about the technique.

Sigh.

Message 102 of 468
CreditSage
Regular Contributor

Really disappointing.
Current Open: NFCU AMEX $6,800 CL | Chase Freedom $3,800 CL | QS1 $1,300 CL | BankAmericard $24,000 CL (AU) | NFCU SSL $3,000 |
FICO 8 EXP, EQ, TU: 675-715 (depending on Utl.) | AAoA 3 Years 3 Months | AoYA 0 Months

Closed: American Honda Finance Installment $16,000 paid satisfactorily | Capital One Secured $700 paid satisfactorily | Wells Fargo credit card $3,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015) | Bank of America credit card $1,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015)
Message 103 of 468
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm probably gonna give SDFCU another shot. I wasn't too thrilled that they took over 2 weeks processing my app with them the first time before I gave up and told them to cancel it. I do qualify for Navy Fed since I have grandparents on both sides that served but I would rather not bother my parents for their info.

Message 104 of 468
Anonymous
Not applicable

when you call and ask a "complicated" question csr goes to the supervisor and asks them. supervisor has no idea and has to go ask someone above. after same question is asked 10x then they are like **bleep**.

and then they will prob try to adjust their process to prevent misuse of their products.

the funniest thing is that even after you ask(a complicated q like: can I pay it off down to 8% and move the next paymant date 5 years) and get the answer.... that answer means absolute ZERO. 

The only way to know is if someone trys and then someon else tries and then we can have a certain degree of confidence.

Calling and asking only brings unwanted attention. lol I will never forget people calling discover to ask if they can buy visa gift cards and get 20% apple pay cash back. 

Message 105 of 468
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was not approved for SDFCU's SSL. This doesn't mean they're out, but it seems they treat their SSL's like regular personal loans (Hard Pull on EX, Income Verification, etc.).

Message 106 of 468
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anything new on this yet? Been 6+ months since I applied for anything and looking to add some kind of small loan just to make my reports look better.
3 Credit cards. 700+ on fake and creditwise.

Or maybe use a loan to pay a credit card balance off and then just pay the loan if that works better but not neccesary as my cards aren't out of control. Willing to take a hit if it's just one hit..Alliant still the best bet for $500?

Message 107 of 468
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, that's my understanding.  Other folks would be happy to get that confirmed, so if you want to take the Alliant $500 for a spin that would be great.

Message 108 of 468
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did they change it again? It's only offering me an Unsecured loan with a minimum of $1,000.

Is Navy Fed better if I could actually prove dead immediate relative was in military? At least they have branches in my state.

allisvx.JPG

Message 109 of 468
Bees18
Frequent Contributor

I'm going to also try to do the SSL at NFCU...can someone help me with this? I've read all the threads on Alliant, but I have specific questions about Navy...

Message 110 of 468
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.