Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is bull right??

tag
FlaDude
Established Contributor

Re: This is bull right??

@SEAlifer wrote:

I pray I get a call from these guys sometime just so I can waste their time. Here's a link to one who accidentally called a police officer Smiley Very Happy

I get these all the time, they are always robo calls with a very mechanical sounding voice. I'm not sure you can really waste a robot caller's time.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 21 of 26
calyx
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm curious how many people out of ten will actually fall for this though? Even though it's pretty much common knowledge/headlines  these days about scams.

They are looking for the most guillible amongst us. They then use that to better target for future scams. It is actually pretty sophisticated setups. We all like to think this is just some loser in a basement and sometimes it is, but sometimes it is advanced setups with ML helping direct who to target with what scam. I recently had a friend fall for a scam that was incredibly well targeted to get her to think it was real. Even I didn't see any obvious signs amiss and I am so skeptical it drives people i know crazy.

They are.  I recently had a family member fall for one.  I kept them from doing anything harmful by asking them to let me handle it for them.    Throw out enough bait and eventually you'll snag someone uninformed, gullible, or vulnerable in other ways that can become easily scared and you've got your victim.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 22 of 26
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Man, my girlfriend watches the show 90 Day Fiancee--long story short, it's about couples who meet online and have to try getting married before visa expires (or something like that)...you wouldn't believe how obvious it is some of these people are just being scammed out of their money and/or being used for a green card. Or a few people trying to move to outside of the US to be with their e-connection. One woman 55-ish woman wanted to move to India to marry & live with her 27 year old guy. Consulted with a lawyer. Asked if her life savings of like $8k will be enough to fly out & live off of the rest of her years. Pretty sure if it wasn't for the cameras, he would have told her to get her crazy behind out of his office.

And people wonder why US citizens are viewed poorly around the globe...

Let's be honest, a great many of us know exactly why our nation is viewed as a laughing stock around the globe. The group of US citizens who are oblivious to this fact, or why that's the case, largely overlap with the group of US citizens who have never left the US except to go on distinctly American vacations to places like the Carribbean, Mexico, or that rare European cruise. The irony, of course, is that this same group also tends to serve as live remote examples of why we are viewed so poorly, often without even realizing it.

Message 23 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve talked to one of these Indian scammers. Pretty sure his name was officer John Smith with a heavy accent from the IRS headquarters.

He let me know I was about to be arrested for back taxes. But of course I could take care of the matter and this wouldn’t happen.

So I played along a wasted his time as long as I could.

Long story short he wanted me to go to the store and buy $1200 worth of iTunes cards.

I guess the IRS are Apple fans
Message 24 of 26
satio
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I’ve talked to one of these Indian scammers. Pretty sure his name was officer John Smith with a heavy accent from the IRS headquarters.

He let me know I was about to be arrested for back taxes. But of course I could take care of the matter and this wouldn’t happen.

So I played along a wasted his time as long as I could.

Long story short he wanted me to go to the store and buy $1200 worth of iTunes cards.

I guess the IRS are Apple fans

I had to reply when I read this one.

That's frickin' funny.....

I get these calls off and on all the time but they always happen when I am busy. One of these days I will try to have some fun too.

Message 25 of 26
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

All IRS phishing can be reported here....

https://www.irs.gov/privacy-disclosure/report-phishing

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.