cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts/feedback on Fidelity's Cash Management w/ 2% Visa?

tag
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

Thoughts/feedback on Fidelity's Cash Management w/ 2% Visa?

I recently found that Fidelity offers a decent set up with a Cash Management (basically checking) account with savings/money market/brokerage and a 2% Visa card (wish it was still AMEX) that will deposit into your brokerage. 

Does anyone have any experiences, good, bad or otherwise?

Thanks!

CARDS:
AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom Flex | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
NFCU | USAA | PenFed | Schwab Bank | First Bank | Chase
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Thoughts/feedback on Fidelity's Cash Management w/ 2% Visa?

We obtained the Visa last year and linked it to a cma account opened at the same time. I also felt it was a good idea and we have been happy thus far.We redeem the 2% or convert it to our account.The Visa is actually issued by Elan if memory serves me, a little confusing at first, but redemption has been seemless, hope this helps,
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just curious, why the preference for Amex over Visa,I personally like Visa for greater acceptance,
Message 3 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure if the OP referenced the AMEX version since this specific product used to be issued by BoA/FIA a few years ago.

I never had any issues with acceptance even before it transitioned to ELAN, though.
Message 4 of 17
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
We obtained the Visa last year and linked it to a cma account opened at the same time. I also felt it was a good idea and we have been happy thus far.We redeem the 2% or convert it to our account.The Visa is actually issued by Elan if memory serves me, a little confusing at first, but redemption has been seemless, hope this helps,

Hi Rocketman, thanks for the post. That sounds good to me. I'm still considering if it's worth switching my main bank over. Is the CMA similar to a brokerage account and you make returns as such?

CARDS:
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Believe the “cma” account is a money market account , paying prevailing rates(LOW).We use money accumulated to purchase securities,funds , etc.We were issued checks, at our election, which we seldom use.
We do not use as our primary bank , primarily because there’s no local branch, and we do extensive business with local banks, that just a personal preference, but it could serve as a “main bank”,just more of a savings/retirement vehicle for us, I guess it depends on your situation,if I were in a city where they had a branch I may feel different, but that’s just me, hope this helps.
I do like the whole concept though and feel you are on the right track , just not ready to kick local bank to curb. Sorry for rambling,
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea, I was just curious, what, if any advantages Amex has over Visa, not being skeptic,and hopefully not hijacking thread,
RM
Message 7 of 17
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Yea, I was just curious, what, if any advantages Amex has over Visa, not being skeptic,and hopefully not hijacking thread,
RM

Well Fidelity's CC used to be with AMEX now with Visa so, sounds relevant Smiley Happy. In my admittedly limited experience, I have seen a little more lucrative rewards and benefits with AMEX than VISA/visa sig. However, I have never run into a place that doesn't accept VISA but have a few that don't AMEX. After helping my folks run our own business growing up, AMEX charges a larger percentage in merchant fees than the rest. I believe this to be the reason that some vendors just won't pay it. 

Again, no expert here.

CARDS:

BANKS:
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, wondered if they maybe give more back in rewards or perks,
RM
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Believe the “cma” account is a money market account , paying prevailing rates(LOW).

A CMA is not anything like a MMSA. 

A CMA is not limited to 6 fee-less withdrawals a month, and it does include its own debit card. 

A CMA is simply a checking account that has investment opportunities attached to it. 

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.