Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too soon to apply for a personal loan?

tag
cambia46
Contributor

Too soon to apply for a personal loan?

Has anyone ver gotten back-to-back personal loans?  I 've been tossing around the idea of getting a loan for a better rate to repay the $10K Upstart loan that I got in January, with an 18.9% interest rate. That rate is not too bad (I've had worse), considering I still have a collection (paid) and a few old lates (mortgage 2015) on my CRAs, but current credit standing is also very good with 2% utilization and DTI ranging from 29-30% on paper, depending on the report.   But, I'm concerned about improval odds with such a recent loan.  Btw, I just got 2 new credit cards with a recent hard inquiry on EX & TU, but the last on EQ was the hard pull in January for the upstartt loan.  Because of this, if I do apply, I'm leaning towards Pendfed, since they almost exclusively pull  EQ.   Would it be unwise to apply now within 7 mos of the last loan?  Thanks for all input.  

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Too soon to apply for a personal loan?

Discover and PenFed both offer personal loan preapprovals without a hard credit pull.

No, it's not too early to start looking.

If you proceed with a loan, a hard pull WILL happen, but you should qualify for a better rate by now and both of them should give you options.

Good luck!

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 3
cambia46
Contributor

Re: Too soon to apply for a personal loan?

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't aware that Discover had a pre-qualifier fir personal loans. I will check them out too. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.