tag
nightglider
Regular Contributor

Re: Took my first step!

@mongstradamus wrote:

@nightglider wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@nightglider wrote:

My investments are with Vanguard (IRA and taxable), so I have no experience with Fidelity (maybe that makes me biased? Smiley Tongue). I'm using the aggressive allocation/balance from Charles Schwab's book. This is 50% Large cap, 20% Small cap, 25% foreign (developed markets in my case), and 5% cash. There are 2 problems with my attempts to keep that balanced, though: my small overall portfolio, and the fund minimums with Vanguard. I'm currently rebalancing every two months (based on Vanguard's policies to prevent market timing), but as my portfolio grows, I'll be able to extend that to 6.

ETA: I'm not a financial advisor, either, just some guy on the internet.

I am using vanguard also for ira and taxable. In my IRA keeping it simple with TR fund 90-10 stocks to bonds. In my regular taxable i have some Etfs. Vanguard total market (VTI), total international (vxus), Healthcare (VHT), and small cap (VB). Small caps and international aren't doing so hot this year haha. 

I'm holding only Index Funds, but I've been toying around with the idea of converting them to ETF's. The tax efficiency provides no appeal because I already have that accounted for. The only benefit I would see is the lower management fee, but even those are matched by the Admiral Shares.

My current holdings are VFINX and NAESX. My foreign holdings are in my TSP (the lack of minimums there gives me a break on balancing...kinda), but next year I'll be putting money (IRA and taxable) into VDVIX.

I just checked out those funds' performances YTD. You're not kidding about small caps and foreign.

my TR fund is made of us stock , total international, us bond , and international bond. International stock is killing me i am barely up for the year :-( . I basically have been using etf in my taxable because of lower expense ratios since i don't have nearly enough to get admiral shares which are 10k each i think. Also its more for fun where i can slice and dice which funds i want.  

I think I'm at least 2 years from a $10k balance in each fund in each account and I'm not sure I want to wait that long. Can you still dollar-cost average with ETFs?

Message 21 of 23
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@nightglider wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@nightglider wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@nightglider wrote:

My investments are with Vanguard (IRA and taxable), so I have no experience with Fidelity (maybe that makes me biased? Smiley Tongue). I'm using the aggressive allocation/balance from Charles Schwab's book. This is 50% Large cap, 20% Small cap, 25% foreign (developed markets in my case), and 5% cash. There are 2 problems with my attempts to keep that balanced, though: my small overall portfolio, and the fund minimums with Vanguard. I'm currently rebalancing every two months (based on Vanguard's policies to prevent market timing), but as my portfolio grows, I'll be able to extend that to 6.

I am using vanguard also for ira and taxable. In my IRA keeping it simple with TR fund 90-10 stocks to bonds. In my regular taxable i have some Etfs. Vanguard total market (VTI), total international (vxus), Healthcare (VHT), and small cap (VB). Small caps and international aren't doing so hot this year haha. 

I'm holding only Index Funds, but I've been toying around with the idea of converting them to ETF's. The tax efficiency provides no appeal because I already have that accounted for. The only benefit I would see is the lower management fee, but even those are matched by the Admiral Shares.

My current holdings are VFINX and NAESX. My foreign holdings are in my TSP (the lack of minimums there gives me a break on balancing...kinda), but next year I'll be putting money (IRA and taxable) into VDVIX.

I just checked out those funds' performances YTD. You're not kidding about small caps and foreign.

my TR fund is made of us stock , total international, us bond , and international bond. International stock is killing me i am barely up for the year :-( . I basically have been using etf in my taxable because of lower expense ratios since i don't have nearly enough to get admiral shares which are 10k each i think. Also its more for fun where i can slice and dice which funds i want.  

I think I'm at least 2 years from a $10k balance in each fund in each account and I'm not sure I want to wait that long. Can you still dollar-cost average with ETFs?

Well thats the problem with etfs you have to buy  entire shares , you can't buy partial shares like mutual funds. I would not DCA though, just invest whenever you have the money. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 22 of 23
nightglider
Regular Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@nightglider wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@nightglider wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@nightglider wrote:

Well thats the problem with etfs you have to buy  entire shares , you can't buy partial shares like mutual funds. I would not DCA though, just invest whenever you have the money. 

I have the money every month. Part of my budget is an investment allowance. Smiley Tongue

Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.