Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer 401k between institutions

tag
PoorPeatree
Valued Member

Transfer 401k between institutions

I have a 401k with my company at wells fargo. I have no other accounts with WF, and I was wondering if transfering the 401k to chase would be worthwhile. I presently have a single CC with chase, and the limit is my lowest card, but I have no other accounts with them. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
iced
Valued Contributor

Re: Transfer 401k between institutions

@PoorPeatree wrote:

I have a 401k with my company at wells fargo. I have no other accounts with WF, and I was wondering if transfering the 401k to chase would be worthwhile. I presently have a single CC with chase, and the limit is my lowest card, but I have no other accounts with them. 

If you're happy with the investment options and returns you're getting at WF, I wouldn't transfer it. If you're not happy with the service, transferring is fine (provided your employer allows it), but you should research the options out there to find which one has the funds, manageability, and fees that are right for you.

You should not base your decision on which bank you have a CC with.

Message 2 of 4
PoorPeatree
Valued Member

thanks iced, I didnt realize there could be many problems with attempting to transfer a 401k, i've never had one until a year ago. 

Message 3 of 4
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@PoorPeatree wrote:

Just an FYI, if your company offers a 401K, you can't just switch from your company-sponsored 401K to another one, you have to participate in the plan offered to you.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.