Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling first time to Canada

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Traveling first time to Canada

Family has a vacation home in rural Quebec. Touristy restaurants take all V/MC and often AX/D...but the small-town grocery store (more locals than tourists) only takes cash and Interac (debit).

Historically we've exchanged at the local bank there. CC acceptance is spreading a bit, but cash is still useful.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 11 of 15
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Family has a vacation home in rural Quebec. Touristy restaurants take all V/MC and often AX/D...but the small-town grocery store (more locals than tourists) only takes cash and Interac (debit).

Historically we've exchanged at the local bank there. CC acceptance is spreading a bit, but cash is still useful.

As a somewhat frequent Toronto and Montréal visitor, this is very helpful to know.  Usually when I've found myself in the rural areas of Québec (as in heading to Montréal from I-91 or I-89) it's been limited to making a Tim Hortons or A&W purchase, where of course credit cards are no issue.

In addition to the not getting km/h and MPH mixed up mentioned on the last page, gasoline is not exceptionally cheap in Canada.  When you see $1.19 that's per litre, not gallon. (That would be about $4.63/gallon for regular unleaded.)  If you are cost-sensitive, always fill up before crossing the border.

If going to Québec or eastern Ontario, it's also helpful to at least know some rudimentary French.  With the two official national languages, much of Canada will have bilingual signage everywhere, but depending on where you are in Québec, it's not uncommon to encounter French-only signage even on highways.

Message 12 of 15
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

As a somewhat frequent Toronto and Montréal visitor, this is very helpful to know.  Usually when I've found myself in the rural areas of Québec (as in heading to Montréal from I-91 or I-89) it's been limited to making a Tim Hortons or A&W purchase, where of course credit cards are no issue.

In addition to the not getting km/h and MPH mixed up mentioned on the last page, gasoline is not exceptionally cheap in Canada.  When you see $1.19 that's per litre, not gallon. (That would be about $4.63/gallon for regular unleaded.)  If you are cost-sensitive, always fill up before crossing the border.

If going to Québec or eastern Ontario, it's also helpful to at least know some rudimentary French.  With the two official national languages, much of Canada will have bilingual signage everywhere, but depending on where you are in Québec, it's not uncommon to encounter French-only signage even on highways.

Montreal and Toronto (especially Toronto) are comparatively easy. If someone asks you a question in French just reply in English.  It's more difficult in eastern Quebec including Quebec City because French is still much more throughly entrenched. 

If you memorize the phrase "Ou est la toilette?" you've won half the battle Smiley LOL

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 13 of 15
wasCB14
Super Contributor

In my experience most business owners speak English, or have an English-speaking employee. Asking some random person on the street for directions would be another matter.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 14 of 15
creditfan
Established Contributor

get schwab debit card reimbursed all fee, problem solved

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.