cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tried to get a PLOC through PenFed, got denied, any tips/pointers?

tag
slayerbizkit
Established Member

Tried to get a PLOC through PenFed, got denied, any tips/pointers?

I have a credit score of ~789 and almost no debt, about $4000 total spread across 6-7 cards. I got a rejection letter the other day for these stated reasons:

Amount of credit available on revolving account(s).
Number of retail/revolving accounts.

I assume it's because I have a high number of cards (About 15, was churning) , and about $170k of available credit. I tend to keep my cards open to maintain credit history length. I know PenFed is pretty strict but I've never got denied for these specific reasons(first time I applied, got denied because of a baddy that's already dropped off all 3 bureaus). What's my next play here to try and get this approved?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Tried to get a PLOC through PenFed, got denied, any tips/pointers?

@slayerbizkit wrote:

I have a credit score of ~789 and almost no debt, about $4000 total spread across 6-7 cards. I got a rejection letter the other day for these stated reasons:

I assume it's because I have a high number of cards (About 15, was churning) , and about $170k of available credit. I tend to keep my cards open to maintain credit history length. I know PenFed is pretty strict but I've never got denied for these specific reasons(first time I applied, got denied because of a baddy that's already dropped off all 3 bureaus). What's my next play here to try and get this approved?

Your next play to get that approved is to stop applying for a year or longer 

Message 2 of 9
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Penfed really dislikes high available credit like that, they are very quirky. I honestly think one could have an 800+ score and penfed would  still deny. 

I would look elsewhere. 

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Your denial reasons are Penfeds bread and butter. Lots of credit and cards, great score is a receipe for denial with them. Happened to me one too many times i just closed shop snd left them to systematically deny other good credit holders at their peril. Honestly, with your stats, go elswhere, plenty of other fish in the seaSmiley Wink
Message 4 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I get it, AJC, but you could have made that same post describing Discover, and not a word would be out of the place, except there is very little hate towards Disco.
There isn't even "Never Disco club"
Not every lender works for everyone, we all know that.
I dont think Penfed is the odd one out when it comes to credit unions. A lot of them are exactly as you described.
It's my opinion that comparing them to NFCU (the actual odd one out), is what's causing most heartbreak around here.

Message 5 of 9
slayerbizkit
Established Member

Lol, I just did a CLI with Discover. Went from 9k to 19k , auto-approved/soft pull. Penfed has earned their rep. 

Message 6 of 9
slayerbizkit
Established Member

Thanks. Any recommendations? This will be my first PLOC ever. Just trying to knock out the checkboxes Smiley Happy .

Message 7 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@slayerbizkit wrote:

PenFed has a tendency to deny applications for those types of reasons. 

But you can recon.

If I were you, I would recon by email, showing them that you don't have excessive debt.

If they send you a customer survey email, treat it as an opportunity for a further recon, because with PenFed it is. Explain that you were disappointed in their credit decision, explain and demonstrate why, and ask them to reconsider.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 8 of 9
slayerbizkit
Established Member

I'll try this when they're open, thnx for the advice.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.