Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get an Affinity account

tag
disney2
Regular Contributor

Trying to get an Affinity account

I tried to sign up for an Affinity account and got all the way through it until it was time to fund my account.  My local bank wasn't listed on Plaid there although it is in Plaid for YNAB and that's where I have most of my money.  What do I do now?  It's annoying to go through Plaid.  

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

Re: Trying to get an Affinity account

I'd flat out refuse to go through Plaid. The first rule of computer security is you never give your password to anyone.

Can't you just open an account and then do an ACH transfer afterwards?

Message 2 of 26
disney2
Regular Contributor

I didn't see an option for that at all. It appeared that plaid was the only way to do it. I tried sending them a technical help ticket but didn't see a reply. 

Message 3 of 26
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

It can't hurt to give them a call.

Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Became a member in Nov and since I was working on my CSP SUB I lowered my CA as low as possible and opened 3 accts. $990 for Cash Back Debit and 1K on 2 other accts. All processed as purchases!

Message 5 of 26
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@disney2 wrote:

I tried to sign up for an Affinity account and got all the way through it until it was time to fund my account.  My local bank wasn't listed on Plaid there although it is in Plaid for YNAB and that's where I have most of my money.  What do I do now?  It's annoying to go through Plaid.  

Usually there's an option to add the external account "manually", which will involve their making 2 trial deposits.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 26
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymalous wrote:

I'd flat out refuse to go through Plaid. The first rule of computer security is you never give your password to anyone.

Yeah I was wondering about that.  I've been seeing Plaid pop up a lot lately, and it does make me nervous.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 26
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymalous wrote:

Yeah I was wondering about that.  I've been seeing Plaid pop up a lot lately, and it does make me nervous.

It should. There are proper ways of doing it, but it would require all the banks to agree on an API, which would allow them to verify credentials, and limit the data being passed. But since banks are slow-moving and use idiosycratic and outmoded systems, Plaid came up with a hack to get around the proper way of doing things. Unfortunately, it involves violating the most basic rules of security, and gives them full control of your account. They're also hyper-aggressive about scraping information about all transactions that you've made with the account, not just the specific information they need.

Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Once the account is opened, Affinity only uses trial deposit method for linking external accounts.  My credit card funding for the initial account opening was coded as a purchase on Citi DC.  Between checking and savings, I funded $2,000 for $40 in cash back.  Consider using a credit card for initial funding to gain some extra rewards.

Message 9 of 26
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

There is an active settlement of 58M on Plaid over such issues and if you used it between 01/2013 to 11/2021, you may file a cliam. I am not sure whether its issue still exists.

I did not know about Plaid issues. While I searched my emails, I also found one email from Plaid.com in December 2021, used it once to fund Robinhood to buy a few stocks (beyond the settlement period). While hoping that they did not collect too much information, it might be better to use other places to buy stocks with trustworthy transaction platforms.

If you want to fund, you may use debit/credit card directly if feasible without using Plaid. I opened Affinity checking a few months ago while I do not have email from Plaid for such transaction, meaning that it was never used.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.