Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get an Affinity account

tag
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

Re: Trying to get an Affinity account

@xenon3030 wrote:

I did not know about Plaid issues. While I searched my emails, I also found one email from Plaid.com in December 2021, used it once to fund Robinhood to buy a few stocks (beyond the settlement period). While hoping that they did not collect too much information, it might be better to use other places to buy stocks with trustworthy transaction platforms.

Plaid does allow you to delete most of your data via their Portal or support team request.

Message 11 of 26
Duke_Nukem
Established Contributor

There is a way to check to see if Plaid was used for any of your accounts.  Unfortunately, you have to supply your personal info to Plaid to get that info... reasonable, huh? Smiley Frustrated

If you openened accounts with Ally, Evansville Teachers FCU, and many other popular locations... then you most likely used Plaid and are eligible for the settlement, whatever it may be.  Most likely $1 and a free 1yr subscription to a credit monitoring service, which tends to be the norm for these things it seems.

Message 12 of 26
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Possibly it may take some years to get any money from these types of settlements and it is less likely to reach 100$. Could anybody get any check from Equifax? For that I preferred to request a long term credit monitoring while the settlement has not finaized yet.

Credit monitoring is almost free (CK) and as well as lock for the credit reports. Experian needs payment if you plan to use it on a monthly basis.

I changed password of the accounts for that specific transaction and I hope that they did not collect more personal info.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 13 of 26
disney2
Regular Contributor

Well this has been a fiasco. I called to see what to do about my bank not being on plaid. They couldn't find my application so I applied over the phone. They sent a link for documents so I uploaded them and received an email today saying that my account was declined due to being unable to authenticate me.   I called to see what it meant and he said he couldn't tell me but to apply again. 

i thought about the Suzy Ormond $100 and went to that link and applied and got right in. I was amazed that it was so easy and it was approved. I went to download the app and realized that was Alliant and I already have an account with them. Now I've got two with them and none with Affinity. 🙈

Thank you for your interest in joining Affinity Federal Credit Union.

We’re sorry to inform you that we are unable to authenticate you at this time. This decision is based on the information provided in your application.

Message 14 of 26
disney2
Regular Contributor

Update!! Trying to get an Affinity account

Well  I applied again online and didn't add the $1000 minimum checking this time so I could fund  with a card.  I just received the email that my application was denied again due to the same reason as before. I totally don't get it but I guess I'm through applying there and will just miss out. I don't know what else to do. 

Message 15 of 26
disney2
Regular Contributor

Affinity denial for membership

I have applied for membership with Affinity several times now and every time been denied.  I have messaged them and was told to call so I called and was told it's something that I'm keying in.  I'm keying in my personal information!  I can spell my name as well as my address.  I asked them what they were checking it against so I can check with that company but they don't know.  

Any ideas?

Message 16 of 26
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Affinity denial for membership

@disney2 - two threads have been merged on essentially the same topic (i.e. Affinity CU). Please refrain from creating multiple threads on the same topic as it is against our TOS and it can lead to confusion by the community members. Thanks.

Message 17 of 26
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Affinity denial for membership

Start by requesting a copy of your LexisNexis Consumer Disclosure Report.  If they can validate you online you'll be able to download a copy of your report, if they can't they will let you know and you will need to submit another request in writing along with the information they need to confirm your identity.

https://consumer.risk.lexisnexis.com/request

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 18 of 26
kremonis
Regular Contributor

@Anonymalous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymalous wrote:

I'd flat out refuse to go through Plaid. The first rule of computer security is you never give your password to anyone.

Can't you just open an account and then do an ACH transfer afterwards?

Yeah I was wondering about that.  I've been seeing Plaid pop up a lot lately, and it does make me nervous.

It should. There are proper ways of doing it, but it would require all the banks to agree on an API, which would allow them to verify credentials, and limit the data being passed. But since banks are slow-moving and use idiosycratic and outmoded systems, Plaid came up with a hack to get around the proper way of doing things. Unfortunately, it involves violating the most basic rules of security, and gives them full control of your account. They're also hyper-aggressive about scraping information about all transactions that you've made with the account, not just the specific information they need.

I admit to succumbing to using plaid knowing what a security risk it is. Do you have any recommendations of what to do if you already use plaid to link your accounts?

Message 19 of 26
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@kremonis wrote:

I admit to succumbing to using plaid knowing what a security risk it is. Do you have any recommendations of what to do if you already use plaid to link your accounts?

Request that they delete your data. I haven't used either, but they have a dashboard you can sign up for that apparently allows you to delete your data, and a form if you don't want to do that. Also change your passwords on all the accounts you linked to Plaid.

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.