Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two blind membership apps, two hard pulls :(

tag
Cookiegrabber
Regular Contributor

Two blind membership apps, two hard pulls :(

Thought I'd provide some DPs as both CUs aren't mentioned around here (@elim's last mention of Southeast Financial was 6 years ago as far as I can tell).

I'm looking for future sources of B/T cards, and these two places looked like they had decent ones with no B/T Fee and 10%-ish APR. I've also had them on my Excel sheet since 2018, so I've been wanting to get in for a while now!

On 8/23/22, I apped for Southeast Financial Credit Union membership savings.

On 8/24/22, I apped for Mid Illini Credit Union membership savings.

Mid Illini pulled first, on TU. It happened as soon as I submitted the online application form. I haven't heard back from them otherwise, though. I did send a paper application their way in 2018 with a dollar inside the envelope (out-of-region apps require a $1 donation to Dollars for Scholars) and didn't hear back, lol. They didn't have online application back then.

Southeast Financial pulled 2 days after apping, just 15 or so hours ago, also TU. When I saw that they sent a secure message, I thought it'd be a straight up decline for having another HP just a day before. It wasn't, and instead, they asked for stuff. A little more stuff than normal, I think:

1) Proof of address either via utility bill or a pay stub that has my address on it

2) Social Security Card

3) Birth Certificate

I uploaded what I could of all 4 and am waiting for a reply.

One good thing is that I was looking for places that pull TU, as I have something like 4 inquiries each on EX and EQ over the last year alone, whereas on TU, I had 0 in 2 years.

I'll update the thread when things happen.

Starting Scores: No Scores (03/2018)
Current Scores: 779 - 789 (08/2023)
Goal Scores: 780 across the board

Current Total Credit Limit: $109,900 (08/2023)
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Re: Two blind membership apps, two hard pulls :(

Wow, HP for memberships . . . hopefully they will offer you products without another HP. Best wishes!!!

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 2 of 12
Cookiegrabber
Regular Contributor

Thanks! I might ask for their cards since they've already pulled me, I guess? But with 3 new cards in the last 2 months and rising util on two cards (I took BT offers to lower my PL's util), I won't get my hopes up too high. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Cookiegrabber wrote:

. It wasn't, and instead, they asked for stuff. A little more stuff than normal, I think:

1) Proof of address either via utility bill or a pay stub that has my address on it

2) Social Security Card

3) Birth Certificate

Yes, this after an HP seems a lot (excessive?) for simple membership

Message 4 of 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Birth Certificate? Whats next. FBI Fingerprint card? Lot of CU's will use the same HP for a card. NFCU and PENFED did HP me but got the goods.

Message 5 of 12
ThomasJNewton
Frequent Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Birth Certificate? Whats next. FBI Fingerprint card? Lot of CU's will use the same HP for a card. NFCU and PENFED did HP me but got the goods.

Pretty sure PenFed required a letter from my CO, notes from at least two different enlisted sailors who did not live together, and a sworn affidavit from the owner of the dive bar closest to my last duty station - that one was easy. :-)

Message 6 of 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ThomasJNewton wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Pretty sure PenFed required a letter from my CO, notes from at least two different enlisted sailors who did not live together, and a sworn affidavit from the owner of the dive bar closest to my last duty station - that one was easy. :-)

Too right, I remember that.  A tatty note with a bunch of money and form: "You don't know me but if you will say you do and sign the form, keep the $300"   Now I was going to keep the $300 and throw away the form, but hey, I felt in a good mood, signed it and mailed it.  On the way back I pushed over an old man, just to balance the karma. 

Message 7 of 12
ThomasJNewton
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@ThomasJNewton wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Too right, I remember that.  A tatty note with a bunch of money and form: "You don't know me but if you will say you do and sign the form, keep the $300"   Now I was going to keep the $300 and throw away the form, but hey, I felt in a good mood, signed it and mailed it.  On the way back I pushed over an old man, just to balance the karma. 

Wait, you only got $300? I left $1,000 with the bartender for you, so you should ask him about it!

Message 8 of 12
Cookiegrabber
Regular Contributor

It's been 3 weeks, and I've finally got a little update for DPs' sake.

1. Southeast Financial Credit Union - denied for membership

This was the one that asked me for all those documents a day after applying. The lady didn't contact me after I sent her my docs, so a week later, on Aug. 30, I emailed her a reminder which was ignored. Today, 2 weeks later, I finally called and she said she had already sent me a denial notice for not providing proof of physical address (not true as of today -- I'd heard NOTHING back, and LoansPQ status still said Pending). When I told her that I sent her my home internet bill, she looked at it and said it isn't enough because it has a building number but not an apartment number. Bah. I didn't really like her "I don't care about your application" kind of tone throughout the call, either, but that could just be her being defensive in advance as maybe she thought I was calling to complain instead of beg (lol).

Anyways, my driver's license is up for renewal, so hopefully I can get the BMV people to put my physical address on it this time. Everyone just has a PO Box on their DLs around here as there is no mail delivery to the home, and I think that hurts my application success ratio quite a bit.

I did tell the lady about the DL renewal coming up and asked whether she could hold the application as Pending for another week, but her "no" was as flat as the rest of the conversation.

2. Mid-Illini Credit Union - waiting for return call

For this application, I heard absolutely nothing from them since applying on Aug. 24. I did send a little email nudge a week later, on Aug. 30 or so, and still got nothing. So another 2 weeks later, today, I called them and like the friendliest lady answered and apologized for making me wait 3 weeks. She said she was having trouble finding my application on the system, though, and that she'd call me back. Based on my experience, that is negative news for my app. But we'll see.

Message 9 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Cookiegrabber wrote:

It's been 3 weeks, and I've finally got a little update for DPs' sake.

1. Southeast Financial Credit Union - denied for membership

This was the one that asked me for all those documents a day after applying. The lady didn't contact me after I sent her my docs, so a week later, on Aug. 30, I emailed her a reminder which was ignored. Today, 2 weeks later, I finally called and she said she had already sent me a denial notice for not providing proof of physical address (not true as of today -- I'd heard NOTHING back, and LoansPQ status still said Pending). When I told her that I sent her my home internet bill, she looked at it and said it isn't enough because it has a building number but not an apartment number. Bah. I didn't really like her "I don't care about your application" kind of tone throughout the call, either, but that could just be her being defensive in advance as maybe she thought I was calling to complain instead of beg (lol).

Anyways, my driver's license is up for renewal, so hopefully I can get the BMV people to put my physical address on it this time. Everyone just has a PO Box on their DLs around here as there is no mail delivery to the home, and I think that hurts my application success ratio quite a bit.

I did tell the lady about the DL renewal coming up and asked whether she could hold the application as Pending for another week, but her "no" was as flat as the rest of the conversation.

2. Mid-Illini Credit Union - waiting for return call

For this application, I heard absolutely nothing from them since applying on Aug. 24. I did send a little email nudge a week later, on Aug. 30 or so, and still got nothing. So another 2 weeks later, today, I called them and like the friendliest lady answered and apologized for making me wait 3 weeks. She said she was having trouble finding my application on the system, though, and that she'd call me back. Based on my experience, that is negative news for my app. But we'll see.

Well thank you, I think this data is helpful;  you've identified, for me, 2 credit unions to stay far away from.

Many, if not most, credit unions do NOT do a hard pull for membership.  I usually check by email and apply only to those that avoid this ridiculous practice.

The additional information on how they treated your membership application suggests that you're better off not getting involved with these folks. 

There are many, many fine credit unions out there who provide great customer service, HP only for credit applications, and do carry those great credit union, low interest, no-balance-transfer fee platinum cards. Some, additionally, have no cash advance fee, and some even offer 0% or nominal APR promo balance transfer offers.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.