Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPSTART denied after pre-approval

tag
JFoBoston
Established Member

UPSTART denied after pre-approval

15k loan pre-qual denied for not being able to verify education??  $120k income, used them for three previous loans, always paid off within 24 months. 

Is the education verification process new?  Is it electronic?  Not sure why they had a hard time verifying it.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: UPSTART denied after pre-approval

The only time I saw my education listed was on my Lexis Nexis report. (or maybe it was Factor Trust) Did the application ask about your education? Pull LN & FT if you can and if you did have to fill out the level of education.  Other's here would know more about their process but it's a start.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 2 of 8
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I too would be curious to know why they declined based on eduation. Unless you indicated a licensed professional like a Doctor /Health Care professional Or Certified Engineer / Architect then they might want to check the licenses. Otherwise I am not sure why the education comes into picture. Share any details if you come across.

Message 3 of 8
JFoBoston
Established Member

Denial.PNG

Yeah, very surprised.  I indicated after the approval when they requested a copy of my education transcript I didn't have it... they requested it again, with no comments. 

Like I've said, I've had a few personal loans with them in the past and never had to provide that data.  All loans have been paid off early, and never late.  Scores and income qualify for the loan.  

I went with PenFed with no issues.  

I will check Nexis for accuracy.  I don't recall the application asking for Education in this instance.  

Message 4 of 8
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@JFoBoston wrote:

I've had a few personal loans with them in the past and never had to provide that data.

I went with PenFed with no issues.

I don't recall the application asking for Education in this instance.  

Have you changed jobs or field since your first two loans with them?   If not, it may well be something new that UPSTART is doing.  Glad PenFed has your back, congrats!

Message 5 of 8
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@JFoBoston Is this an Education Loan by any chance?

Message 6 of 8
JFoBoston
Established Member

NO change in employement field for years and not an education based loan at all.  Just strange that with a thick credit file they would ask for something like this at this stage of the game (even with a prequal).  

PenFed does indeed have my back.  They've been great!

Message 7 of 8
BamBam2000
Contributor

What was the source of the verification. They can pull it from 

https://www.studentclearinghouse.org/

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.