Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank App Strange Result?

tag
SBR249
Established Contributor

US Bank App Strange Result?

So I've read on here that having a bank relationship with US Bank helps when apping for their CCs and I've been eyeing their Cash+ for a while now.

While checking out their checking (ha!) offerings today I saw the gold checking package which is fee free for their CC holders and you can even app for a card while you app for the package (evidently they know I like apping Smiley Very Happy). Anyway, so I thought why not? Pulled the trigger on the whole package+CC. Came back with a $9K CL offer on the Cash+ and 16.24% APR so I thought, so far so good! Then when I get to the last page it said "checking account = denied, cash+ = approved!" Smiley Surprised

No idea what happened there. Is US Bank sensitive when it comes to people who open new bank accounts frequently? I have been doing a bit of checking SUB chasing lately so maybe one of the systems showed that? There was also an incident last year on one of my checking accounts where I cancelled a pending ACH push with the bank which they attempted anyway and came back insufficient funds. Maybe that got reported somewhere but I've opened 3 bank accounts since without a problem. A bit flummoxed to be sure but I got what I wanted in the end I guess? I'll wait until the letters comes in the mail and I have my card to figure it out. 

Edit: to add a bit of info. They pulled EQ, I had 5 inqs on there before the app. 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: US Bank App Strange Result?

US Bank uses Early Warning Systems so getting denied probably was because of the insufficient funds on record in addition to the new accounts. 

You can call them and find out why the checking was denied. They didn’t send me a letter for checking and the denial page on the website had a phone number to call for more info. In my case they couldn’t pull my credit because I left Experian frozen out of laziness but I never got a letter about the checking, just the credit card. 

Congrats on the card though, that’s quite a nice reversal of fortune since most would be denied the other way around 😂 

Message 2 of 12
SBR249
Established Contributor

I guess I'll probably have to look into that, and if it's the case, dispute it. I did cancel the ACH push by phone before COB on that day and they still attempted it after the CSR on the phone told me it was cancelled. Oh well. Time to pull my EWS and see. 

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah they seem to be hit or miss on whether they pull Chex with most reports saying they don’t and those that did get a Chex pull haven’t reported them to be inquiry sensitive but they do participate with EWS. 

I would just call and ask them why they denied the checking. 

Message 4 of 12
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

1 out of 2 not bad. 😁 Agree, it is weird.

Congrats on the nice approval though. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 12
Reazon
New Contributor

Hello, I have a question.
I was thinking of doing the same thing, opening the gold checking to see if there's offers with the SL showing,
I am showing a pre qual with a solid 18.24 apr on the prequal page. But I believe someone in here mentioned that if you open a checking, that you would see a prequal with a SL, not sure tho.

So did you see a prequal offer with a SL?

Thank you
CSP 726/5K
AMEX DELTA GOLD 0/2K
Lowe's 0/17K
CAPONE QS 0/$750
DISCOVER IT SECURED 0/$300
RC WILLEY 0/$300
EX FICO 8= 711
EQ FICO 8= 735
TU FICO 8= 727
AS OF 05/12/2019
Message 6 of 12
SBR249
Established Contributor

I did check for a prequal on the US Bank website a few weeks ago and remember getting prequals for most of their cards but I don't remember what I saw. Definitely no SL though.

When you app through the checking account app process you have to fill out all your income and identity info and submit it before you see a CC "offer". The offer has a solid APR and SL but I suspect that by that time, you'd have incurred an HP anyway because it's after you hit the submit button on the CC app portion. 

Message 7 of 12
Gmood1
Super Contributor

They check Sagestream for the bank accounts. I had the same happen to me. My Sagestream stays frozen.
Once you've had the CC for 6 months. You can try again. The system will may let you open the checking account.

I've opened at least 30 bank accounts in the last 24 months.
I'd suggest freezing Sagestream if you are as active as I with opening accounts.
Message 8 of 12
Reazon
New Contributor

I was thinking of doing the same thing, opening the gold checking to see if there's offers with the SL showing,
I am showing a pre qual with a solid 18.24 apr on the prequal page. But I believe someone in here mentioned that if you open a checking, that you would see a prequal with a SL, not sure tho.

Thank you
CSP 726/5K
AMEX DELTA GOLD 0/2K
Lowe's 0/17K
CAPONE QS 0/$750
DISCOVER IT SECURED 0/$300
RC WILLEY 0/$300
EX FICO 8= 711
EQ FICO 8= 735
TU FICO 8= 727
AS OF 05/12/2019
Message 9 of 12
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@Reazon wrote:

Thank you

I have never heard of a prequal that gives you an SL.    Some cards will advertise a minimum CL but that is just the lowest they would given anyone they approve. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.