Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank withdraw money without notice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

US Bank withdraw money without notice

So I went to the bank during lunch yesterday withdrew $2000. Got the cash but the teller only debited $200 from my account a $1,800 mistake. Woke up to the money still there and during lunch checked my account again and they had done a “check” withdrawal for the $1,800. Can they remove money without notifying me? Technically signed for $200 on the receipt but was given $2,000
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: US Bank withdraw money without notice

Banks remove money frequently without notifying the consumer, ie overdraft fees etc. 

It shouldn’t be an issue right? In your case, it’s literally their money. The teller simply made an error. 

Message 2 of 6
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

You got $2000, correct? So , even by mistake of teller, they got the rest of their money. Cant claim you only got $200 even if the receipt says so. I wouldnt want to mess up my relationship with the bank over something you had to know was a mistake.
Message 3 of 6
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So I went to the bank during lunch yesterday withdrew $2000. Got the cash but the teller only debited $200 from my account a $1,800 mistake. Woke up to the money still there and during lunch checked my account again and they had done a “check” withdrawal for the $1,800. Can they remove money without notifying me? Technically signed for $200 on the receipt but was given $2,000

Yes, the bank is allowed to correct the error.

...and if the error had gone the other way, you'd WANT them to...

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 4 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Act like the whole thing never happened and leave it alone. You have your correct amount of money, and their books are now straight.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 6
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I assume you filled out a withdrawl slip or a check which you handed to the teller.   So that would be their proof that you wanted 2000, not sure how your bank handles reciepts but I have never at any bank signed a reciept.   The reciept simply shows what was done, the withdrawl/deposit slip or check indicates what I want to be done. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.