Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Credit cards "Thank You For Your Interest..."

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA Credit cards "Thank You For Your Interest..."

Realizing that my father being a vet means that I could potentially get into USAA, I went online and joined. It gave me a number and created my online account and everything. I have access to all of their products -- except for credit cards, I get that message when I go there.

I tried calling to ask about it and I was told that I have to call back tomorrow.

Has anyone seen this before? It starts loading the image of the card with the big apply now button and then flashes to Thank You For Your Interest.

Honestly the last thing I need right now is another credit card but if I'm eligible for USAA, I might go for one anyway to get that relationship started.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: USAA Credit cards "Thank You For Your Interest..."

Is your father a USAA member?  If not, that is the problem.

If he is a member your profile might need to be linked to his if you didn't provide his member number when you registered.  When you call they will be able to assist if that is the holdup.

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I figured it was something like that. He is listed on the member profile with ******** for his USAA number so I figured it looked him up. 

I don't want to reach out to him and ask him for more stuff since I pulled the whole "I haven't talked to you in months but I need to know if you have an honorable discharge" thing for NFCU right before Christmas. Maybe that will be a conversation for later this year. I don't talk to him often because we don't have much in common and I'm not so good at faking interest anymore.

So you can have USAA checking, savings, etc without this eligibility but not credit cards? I was looking at their credit cards using an incognito window and they're not offering anything NFCU can't match right now really so its not a big deal. They really ought to not put *optional* on fields that aren't optional when you're joining though. His name and date of birth were the mandatory things, SSN and USAA number were listed optional. Since he popped up on my list of family members, I figured they found him.

Message 3 of 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I figured it was something like that. He is listed on the member profile with ******** for his USAA number so I figured it looked him up. 

I don't want to reach out to him and ask him for more stuff since I pulled the whole "I haven't talked to you in months but I need to know if you have an honorable discharge" thing for NFCU right before Christmas. Maybe that will be a conversation for later this year. I don't talk to him often because we don't have much in common and I'm not so good at faking interest anymore.

So you can have USAA checking, savings, etc without this eligibility but not credit cards? I was looking at their credit cards using an incognito window and they're not offering anything NFCU can't match right now really so its not a big deal. They really ought to not put *optional* on fields that aren't optional when you're joining though. His name and date of birth were the mandatory things, SSN and USAA number were listed optional. Since he popped up on my list of family members, I figured they found him.

USAA's eligibility has changed a few times over the years and is somewhat complex (compared to NFCU, anyway).

Unless it's changed you'll have to be a 'full' member to have banking unless you joined before September 2013 (those who did are grandfathered as long as they don't close their deposit accounts).

This post is older but I believe the info is still valid:  https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/SmorgasBoard/USAA-Car-Rental-help/m-p/4979683#M61623

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

USAA's eligibility has changed a few times over the years and is somewhat complex (compared to NFCU, anyway).

Unless it's changed you'll have to be a 'full' member to have banking unless you joined before September 2013 (those who did are grandfathered as long as they don't close their deposit accounts).

This post is older but I believe the info is still valid:  https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/SmorgasBoard/USAA-Car-Rental-help/m-p/4979683#M61623

Yep, while it wouldn't even show me the credit cards page, after comparing the bank accounts and clicking the button to start the process, it kicked me out and said that you have to meet eligibility.

Alright cool, I'll just leave it alone right now. They don't have any products that are of immediate interest to me. I'll ask my dad about it at some point but if he has never been a USAA member, I'm not going to be able to convince him to sign up and get insurance to make me eligible.

If they still offered the Limitless, I would probably push him on it. 

Message 5 of 18
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

How long ago did you join?

You could try calling; explain you don't have his member # but have the name & DOB, maybe they can look up the number & add it for you?

All they can say is no..

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

You could try calling; explain you don't have his member # but have the name & DOB, maybe they can look up the number & add it for you?

All they can say is no..

I had just joined last night. I am sure they are going to want more than his name and DOB although the fact we have the same name and I’m the second (II) lends an awful let of credibility to him being my father lol. If I feel like making the call, I will do so, but I really should garden anyway and I know I’ll end up with a credit card that I’ll SD if I get a full membership. No self control 😂 

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

All they can say is no..

I had just joined last night. I am sure they are going to want more than his name and DOB although the fact we have the same name and I’m the second (II) lends an awful let of credibility to him being my father lol. If I feel like making the call, I will do so, but I really should garden anyway and I know I’ll end up with a credit card that I’ll SD if I get a full membership. No self control 😂 

You could always get the 5% on gas all year.  No need to SD that.

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

All they can say is no..

I am home bound (panic disorder with agoraphobia) so I’m one of the few people not in a nursing home that doesn’t take any form of transportation unless the county comes to pick me up to take me to see the psychiatrist once every 3-4 months. That’s why I haven’t already gone for a gas/travel card in my card apps. 

Message 9 of 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

All they can say is no..

This is true, but based on his posts in other threads a gas card isn't likely to be useful to him.

@Anonymous, if it were me I would go ahead and call them to see if they can find a membership for your father, since their banking is about as good as it gets (even slightly better than NFCU... I actually use USAA for my primary checking). 

However, I would probably hold off on applying for one of their cards for a few reasons.  Unless I'm mistaken they don't have anything that will beat what you already have card-wise.  Secondly, their APRs are fixed at approval (similar to Chase); they won't lower it later.  With your other recent apps you'll probably get one of their higher APRs (I know it shouldn't matter if you PIF, but it's worth mentioning).  Thirdly, you'll likely get a SL on the low-end, and with USAA there's a HP for CLI requests (EX or EQ - they've used both for me on different occasions).

If you get your membership straightened out, you can always pick up a card later on once your profile cools off a bit.

Data point: I got my Limitless at the end of a spree two years ago.  My application was the same day they opened up for my state;  I considered waiting, but I was afraid they would pull the product (which eventually happened).  I was approved, but the APR was at the highest APR, which is higher than my other older USAA card.  Also, at that time they didn't use the 'regular' FICO 8, they used one of the other versions, which for many (including myself) is a bit lower.

Just my 2¢.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.