Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA membership

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA membership

Those that have signed up for an account via a parent that served- I was not sure if my dad has an account with them or uses their products so I went through the steps to determine eligibility and when it asked for my parents info I just have his DOB.  It gave me a member # at the end of the process and added him to my profile.  I am unclear what this all means as I have not received any other emails or documents. 

What is the process from here forward?  I assume if he does have an account they would ask him to verify me?  Asking him directly is not an option right now. 

Any info on the process would be appreciated. 

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA membership

They need his social security number or his USAA member number. You’ll be in a restricted account like me since I won’t ask my dad either. 

Message 2 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!  Did they call him to check that a new person added him to their profile?  I'm hoping they just call him and he handles it (but then would he need my member#?)

I would love an auto quote becuse my state is the most expensive one to drive in and it continues to increase.  Arg- my adult kids would benefit from a USAA account too. 

Message 3 of 39
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

What do you by restricted?

My hubby and I joined because his mom is a member. And quite frankly I am pulling my hair out at the moment . it started last August they wanted to verify my ID and after a month I gave up. I called them back this April and started the process again and well it's May and still can't get my ID verified lol.
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you!  Did they call him to check that a new person added him to their profile?  I'm hoping they just call him and he handles it (but then would he need my member#?)

I would love an auto quote becuse my state is the most expensive one to drive in and it continues to increase.  Arg- my adult kids would benefit from a USAA account too. 

No they won’t do anything. I called them and explained my situation and they said that I would have to get his social security number or member number. 

So to this day I have the restricted profile that can’t get any products. 

Message 5 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jnbmom wrote:
What do you by restricted?

My hubby and I joined because his mom is a member. And quite frankly I am pulling my hair out at the moment . it started last August they wanted to verify my ID and after a month I gave up. I called them back this April and started the process again and well it's May and still can't get my ID verified lol.

I mean by I can log in but when I go to apply for any products, it says I am not eligible. 

Sounds like its probably not worth the hassle to me. 

Message 6 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems we are in the same boat.  Thanks for sharing the info.

Message 7 of 39
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

So are the restricted accounts because family member is just military and not actual member?

My MIL is a member but it is like pulling teeth to verify my ID and they just keep giving me the run around, the one CSR tried to tell me she was as far as I could go with inquiring and when I said I wanted to speak to someone else preferably in the ID verification dept ( which I know exist I have talked with them many many times) she trasnferrred me to the "media" department, accidental I highly doubtSmiley Mad

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 8 of 39
calyx
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No they won’t do anything. I called them and explained my situation and they said that I would have to get his social security number or member number. 

Question: If I can supply my father's Social, I can be a member?  He's a vet, but we are estranged, so I don't know if he's an account holder with USAA.  I do have a bunch of his military paperwork and SSN, though (the grandmother that helped raise me was his mother).
I thought he had to directly "get" me in for membership.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 9 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@calyx wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Question: If I can supply my father's Social, I can be a member?  He's a vet, but we are estranged, so I don't know if he's an account holder with USAA.  I do have a bunch of his military paperwork and SSN, though (the grandmother that helped raise me was his mother).
I thought he had to directly "get" me in for membership.

If he’s a current member with USAA insurance or has ever had USAA insurance, the social should be enough from my understanding of what I was told on the phone. Unless things have changed since I applied late last year. 

Message 10 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.