tag
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: USAA membership

@Anonymous wrote:

@calyx wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you!  Did they call him to check that a new person added him to their profile?  I'm hoping they just call him and he handles it (but then would he need my member#?)

I would love an auto quote becuse my state is the most expensive one to drive in and it continues to increase.  Arg- my adult kids would benefit from a USAA account too. 

No they won’t do anything. I called them and explained my situation and they said that I would have to get his social security number or member number. 

So to this day I have the restricted profile that can’t get any products. 

Question: If I can supply my father's Social, I can be a member?  He's a vet, but we are estranged, so I don't know if he's an account holder with USAA.  I do have a bunch of his military paperwork and SSN, though (the grandmother that helped raise me was his mother).
I thought he had to directly "get" me in for membership.

If he’s a current member with USAA insurance or has ever had USAA insurance, the social should be enough from my understanding of what I was told on the phone. Unless things have changed since I applied late last year. 

Sweet.  It couldn't hurt to try.
I had tried to join USAA a few years ago, and that CSR indicated that there was nothing I could do without him directly getting me in, so I'll try again with the information.   

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 11 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@calyx wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you!  Did they call him to check that a new person added him to their profile?  I'm hoping they just call him and he handles it (but then would he need my member#?)

I would love an auto quote becuse my state is the most expensive one to drive in and it continues to increase.  Arg- my adult kids would benefit from a USAA account too. 

No they won’t do anything. I called them and explained my situation and they said that I would have to get his social security number or member number. 

So to this day I have the restricted profile that can’t get any products. 

Question: If I can supply my father's Social, I can be a member?  He's a vet, but we are estranged, so I don't know if he's an account holder with USAA.  I do have a bunch of his military paperwork and SSN, though (the grandmother that helped raise me was his mother).
I thought he had to directly "get" me in for membership.

Let me know if that works.  I am estranged as well, but may have some of his military info in some boxes I inherited. 

Message 12 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shot in the dark (find this membership thing too ... complicated). Anyway, wonder if you could find a DD214 Certficate of Release for Military Service which generally will work for most anything related to the Military and Benefits. Would think USAA might look at it? In my mind USAA does not always clearly set out what it takes to join and it has changed a few times.

Navy Federal seems to make it far less effort and I think both have their strong points.

I could not join Navy back awhile and now they would let me in (a Vietnam Veteran ot the US Army Special Forces and Navy FCU denied me but that is yesterday).

Message 13 of 39
calyx
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Shot in the dark (find this membership thing too ... complicated). Anyway, wonder if you could find a DD214 Certficate of Release for Military Service which generally will work for most anything related to the Military and Benefits. Would think USAA might look at it?

I know it works for NFCU, but I always gathered that USAA was far more selective/strict.  Couldn't hurt to try, though?   I don't have my father's DD214, just the ones for my grandfathers (how I got into NFCU).

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 14 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA is very strict and they have two tiers of membership. 

Tier 1 has USAA products other than insurance 

Tier 2 has or had insurance

Tier 1 can never sponsor anyone for membership, Tier 2 can sponsor sons and daughters as well as spouses. 

So say your maternal grandfather served, your grandfather was a USAA member and had USAA insurance. Your mother would have to join and get USAA insurance which would then make you eligible to be sponsored through her membership. 

While NFCU will let you use a service record for eligibility with or without them being a member, USAA not only requires membership but requires insurance to have been purchased by that member at some point. 

From their website: 

“Family

Widows, widowers and un-remarried former spouses of USAA members who had USAA auto or property insurance while married and individuals whose parents have or had USAA auto or property insurance.”

Message 15 of 39
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

So are the restricted accounts because family member is just military and not actual member?

My MIL is a member but it is like pulling teeth to verify my ID and they just keep giving me the run around, the one CSR tried to tell me she was as far as I could go with inquiring and when I said I wanted to speak to someone else preferably in the ID verification dept ( which I know exist I have talked with them many many times) she trasnferrred me to the "media" department, accidental I highly doubtSmiley Mad

I had problems too with verify my IDS etc. Fist i sent a black and white photos, I called they said it has to be in color i said ok i wish you guys have told me that first. Then they said it has be in a PNG not gif etc. I WAS VERY UPSET THEN but i did sent the png files. I have been with them for 2 years now without any problems. I am happy now but it took some work to get everything worked out. THEY DO NEED TO GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER THOUGH LOL

Message 16 of 39
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Well this saga started last August, I started to inquire again 4/26/19. FINALLY after almost 4 weeks, numerous emails sent, dozens of phone calls..........They finally lifted the restriction uggg

So now offically in with USAA, but what a nighmare.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 17 of 39
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

Well this saga started last August, I started to inquire again 4/26/19. FINALLY after almost 4 weeks, numerous emails sent, dozens of phone calls..........They finally lifted the restriction uggg

@Jnbmom wrote:

SO GLAD FOR YOU BUDDY 

Message 18 of 39
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@JoeLuvsHisCredit wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

SO GLAD FOR YOU BUDDY 

Thank youSmiley Happy))

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 19 of 39
omgitsMatt
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

USAA is very strict and they have two tiers of membership. 

Tier 1 has USAA products other than insurance 

Tier 2 has or had insurance

Tier 1 can never sponsor anyone for membership, Tier 2 can sponsor sons and daughters as well as spouses. 

So say your maternal grandfather served, your grandfather was a USAA member and had USAA insurance. Your mother would have to join and get USAA insurance which would then make you eligible to be sponsored through her membership. 

While NFCU will let you use a service record for eligibility with or without them being a member, USAA not only requires membership but requires insurance to have been purchased by that member at some point. 

From their website: 

“Family

Widows, widowers and un-remarried former spouses of USAA members who had USAA auto or property insurance while married and individuals whose parents have or had USAA auto or property insurance.”

I'm not entirely sure what the etiquette is on bumping an older post like this?

I know you're around and still participate with the community, so I'll take a shot asking here.

Is this still their policy? Because I want to start the hassle of joining for my wife, then possibly piggy backing off of her for me in the future.

Message 20 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.