cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upstart Loan - Close to payoff to help credit?

tag
TJL08109

Upstart Loan - Close to payoff to help credit?

HI all - First post here.  

I recently took out a personal loan to pay off some debt.  I paid off my credit cards.  Now my question is I have an Upstart loan for Roughly 7500 left on it at 245.xx a month for another 41 months.  If i pay $7400, Will my monthly payment adjust so that i'm paying like $2 a month for the rest of the loan (41 months)?  Give or take a dollar or so.  That way my loan isn't closed early and I still get the payment History?

I hope that makes sense.  

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Upstart Loan - Close to payoff to help credit?

@TJL08109 wrote:

I recently took out a personal loan to pay off some debt.  I paid off my credit cards.  Now my question is I have an Upstart loan for Roughly 7500 left on it at 245.xx a month for another 41 months.  If i pay $7400, Will my monthly payment adjust so that i'm paying like $2 a month for the rest of the loan (41 months)?  Give or take a dollar or so.  That way my loan isn't closed early and I still get the payment History?

I hope that makes sense.  

1. You'll get the payment history no matter what.  It will continue to be reported in your credit reports, most likely for years to come, after it is closed.

2. I don't know what Upstart's policy is about how to treat prepayments. But I think the majority of lenders will update the payment dates, so that it wouldn't stay open on the books for long. 

3. If you have no other installment loans, you could take the $7500, use it to fund a share secured loan with NFCU or PenFed, use the proceeds from the SSL to pay off Upstart, and then use the savings at NFCU or PenFed to pay down the SSL to $700 or less.  There would probably be a temporary score ding, but once you were showing no Upstart loan, and a mostly paid down SSL, you'll be good.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 11
TJL08109

Thanks for the response.  I saw a video basically saying never to pay it completely off early, and if you make a large payment, it will just adjust the amount due and you can keep the loan open until maturity.  That is why I'm wondering if that would work in this case. I guess the only way to find out is to try?

Message 3 of 11
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@TJL08109 wrote:

Thanks for the response.  I saw a video basically saying never to pay it completely off early, and if you make a large payment, it will just adjust the amount due and you can keep the loan open until maturity.  That is why I'm wondering if that would work in this case. I guess the only way to find out is to try?

I'm pretty sure the payment terms are set by the amount of the loan & the length of time of the loan, car loans are this way and several years ago I had a Prosper personal loan that I made a large payment to and the payment amount didn't adjust, so I just paid it off early. But the only way to find out is to try & find out.

Do you have an offer for a "credit card" from Upgrade

EDIT: Brain fart, Upstart, not Upgrade. 

Message 4 of 11
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@TJL08109 wrote:

I'm pretty sure the payment terms are set by the amount of the loan & the length of time of the loan, car loans are this way and several years ago I had a Prosper personal loan that I made a large payment to and the payment amount didn't adjust, so I just paid it off early. But the only way to find out is to try & find out.

Do you have an offer for a "credit card" from Upgrade? I use quotation marks because their "credit cards" actually report as a Line of Credit, not a revolving credit card account. I recently applied & was approved for their "Cash Rewards Elite Card". I only applied for the card to get a $400 bonus for opening their Rewards Checking account, I saw the offer on my Credit Karma account & confirmed the offer on Doctor of Credit before applying. When I log into my Upgrade account I see a pre-approval for a personal loan, which I don't want or need, but that's why I thought you might have an offer for a card. An Upgrade card reporting as a line of credit might take care of you wanting a loan to report. 

Upstart, not Upgrade @DaveInAZ. Completely different products. Smiley Wink

OP, I believe if you overpay, they'll reduce the amount of the next monthly payment, but they won't push out the due date.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 11
TJL08109

So i made a $7400 payment today.  It now shows that I'm all caught up and paid up until November of 2024 with a remaining balance of $113.04 .  Yet the Amount due in June hasn't changed hasn't changed yet.  That could be due to the payment not going through yet formally yet. but even if that's the case...I hope since all that is owed is $113... you would think the Minimum of $245 would change.... I'm sure hoping it does... Not sure how to post a picture on here if i can. 

Message 6 of 11
increasingmyfico
Regular Contributor

@TJL08109 wrote:

I hope that makes sense.  

With Upstart any excess payment sent goes towards the principal balance. When your next billing cycle hits you will owe the full payment amount of the scheduled payment. Upstart does not push back payments. 

Message 7 of 11
TJL08109

Well they must have done something since my next payment is supposed to be in 2024

Message 8 of 11
increasingmyfico
Regular Contributor

@TJL08109 wrote:

Well they must have done something since my next payment is supposed to be in 2024

Maybe it's different because you paid so much. Pay attention to it around your next due date. There agreements specifically state that they don't push out payments. Unless yours is different. 

Message 9 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@TJL08109 wrote:

As I said, it depends on the lender. But the majority advance the next payment date. That video is wrong if that's what it said.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.