Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urgent Please help - Bank of America ATM Check Deposit

tag
JoshNurse
Frequent Contributor

Urgent Please help - Bank of America ATM Check Deposit

I have a foreign check from a canadian bank. I have tried the following mobile check deposit apps:  captial one 360, discover bank, bank of america, simple bank, ally bank, NFCU bank.. none of them worked.

My next option is the Bank of America ATM.  Will the ATM give me my check back or does it keep the check?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Re: Urgent Please help - Bank of America ATM Check Deposit

Your post will probably be moved from this credit cards section.

I highly doubt any automated gizmo of any sort will accept/process a foreign check.

You need to go into a real bank branch and find out if they will process a foreign check for you. If they do, they will charge you an arm and a leg and it will take probably weeks to a month to process plus forex fee, etc. If it's not a lot of money, it's probably not worth it. Best to have somebody in Canada deposit it and send bank draft in US dollars.

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 2 of 14
JoshNurse
Frequent Contributor

@Mailak wrote:

Your post will probably be moved from this credit cards section.

I highly doubt any automated gizmo of any sort will accept/process a foreign check.

You need to go into a real bank branch and find out if they will process a foreign check for you. If they do, they will charge you an arm and a leg and it will take probably weeks to a month to process plus forex fee, etc. If it's not a lot of money, it's probably not worth it. Best to have somebody in Canada deposit it and send bank draft in US dollars.

It is under $2000 and the check says US Dollars. This is the bank where the check comes from: http://www.rbcroyalbank.com

Message 3 of 14
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Maybe PNC can help...

I would check which ATM accept deposits for RBC customers and try that institution first

http://maps.rbc.com/rbcbank/

try the bank that accepts deposits at ATM .. if no success ask for a money wire and this will for sure work. 

Good luck!

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You won't be able to deposit in an ATM, including PNC. Do expect a $30-50 fee for foreign collection as it is still sent to Canada for payment, they will wire the funds to your bank who will then credit you. Problem is there's no low governing the availability of funds for foreign deposit so it can take quite awhile. Depending on your bank they may take the risk as make it available to you quicker, but that is usually reserved for little checks.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have an account with BMO Harris, TD Bank NA, RBC Georgia or HSBC (first 3 are subsidaries of Canadian banks), they could probably do it no problem. I opened my TD Bank NA account in Maine with a cheque drawn on a TD Canada Trust USD account and it cleared with no fees with a 7 day hold.

Smaller banks and CUs along the US/CA border could probably do it too 

Message 6 of 14
rlx01
Established Contributor

Most banks have a special exception for Canadian cheques.

I know HSBC only charges $2 to process them.

I wouldn't try doing it via ATM.
Message 7 of 14
d0tmatr1x
Established Member

I think your best bet would be to FedEX overnight the check to a bank branch for processing.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just curious - what did you end up doing?

Message 9 of 14
compassion101
Established Contributor

Is this coming from a company you are doing work for? A friend? Bovada?

I get Canadian checks every month in USD. I use Citizens bank, they don't charge me anything and it is available next day most of the time, never more than 2 days. They are a nice local bank to work with, not sure if you have them by you or not. Might take longer if it is your first deposit into a new account you open with them though, of course.

Previously I tried with Wells Fargo, Chase, and one or two others (maybe PNC I'm not too sure). They were all telling me 3-8 weeks to clear through the "collections" process, and a fee.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.