Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verizon closes loophole for Auto Pay discount

tag
Duke_Nukem
Established Contributor

Verizon closes loophole for Auto Pay discount

Just when I get into the rewards game and enjoying the cell phone insurance via credit cards, Verizon shuts the door on the auto pay discount loophole.  Verizon gives you a discount on plans (at least the one I have) when you setup autopay through a checking/savings account, but no discount if paid via a credit card.  The loophole used to be setup the autopay with checking/savings, but make a manual payment with a credit card prior to the auto pay date (which cancels due to full payment).

It seems this month they are putting an end to that ability.  The below notice pops up when placing your manual credit card payment info.  This messes up rewards from cards like USB Cash+ if you have the cell phone category selected, but I've realized the Uber insurance benefit is of most importance to me.  But this new move by Verizon may be too much for my peace of mind.

I'm wondering if a different way of paying from credit card would work, such as a bill pay directly from the credit card itself?

ver.jpg

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
creditfan
Established Contributor

Re: Verizon closes loophole for Auto Pay discount

then use debit to earn your point

eg. discover, empower banking

Message 2 of 33
iced
Valued Contributor

@creditfan wrote:

This. Verizon doesn't want people double-dipping at their merchant-fee expense, which is why they'll continue to look the other way (for now) with debit transactions. Given these forums are public, you can also bet if a way is discussed here to get around it, the clock will start ticking on having that loophole also closed.

I'd file this under "it was good while it lasted."

Message 3 of 33
Duke_Nukem
Established Contributor

@creditfan wrote:

I'm not as concerned about the reward %, I'm more interested in the cell phone insurance that Uber and others include when you use their card to pay the monthly bill (has to be in full).  I recently had to use the insurance for a dropped phone, and it was extremely nice to have!

Message 4 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

They absolutely closed the loophole recently.  I always had my checking on autopay which gives the discount but would always pay with CC before the deduction from my checking.  I got hit with additional charges on this month's bill for non compliance...lol.

VZ.JPG

Message 5 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

If your trying to “play the system “ this bad 💁‍♂️ Maybe you need to think of what you actually can afford. The trying to please others “ who you probably don’t even like/care about isn’t worth it!
Message 6 of 33
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
If your trying to “play the system “ this bad 💁‍♂️ Maybe you need to think of what you actually can afford. The trying to please others “ who you probably don’t even like/care about isn’t worth it!

Just because someone is trying to save a few bucks, doesn't mean they can't afford something. Why wouldn't someone want an extra $100+ in their pockets every year? 

Message 7 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm going to rework my budget to avoid dumpster hopping for food.  Thank you for the sound financial advice.

Since this could be my last post due to internet affordability issues, I would recommend looking up the difference between your/you're.

Message 8 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's been awful watching the decline of Verizon over the decades (been with them since they were AirTouch Cellular) and how much greed has taken over this company. 

Message 9 of 33
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

They absolutely closed the loophole recently.  I always had my checking on autopay which gives the discount but would always pay with CC before the deduction from my checking.  I got hit with additional charges on this month's bill for non compliance...lol.

VZ.JPG

Is that in addition to not getting the discount?

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.