Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verizon closes loophole for Auto Pay discount

tag
Felony_Phil
Established Contributor

Re: Verizon closes loophole for Auto Pay discount

@Anonymous wrote:

It's been awful watching the decline of Verizon over the decades (been with them since they were AirTouch Cellular) and how much greed has taken over this company. 

They were never AirTouch Cellular.  The absorbed AirTouch just like they absorbed Cellular One and Alltel among several other carriers throughout the years. Every carrier has their good and bad.  Verizon puts more money into their network than any other carrier.  They've  done some off-the-wall stuff that made zero sense to us but obviously it effects them somehow. I'm not going to get upset with any person or company that is trying to put themselves in a better financial position, after all Verizon is in business to make money.  

I have the Auto-pay feature and I'm wondering what ill effects I'll see next billing cycle which will be on the 10th of August.

Message 11 of 33
OmarR
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

They absolutely closed the loophole recently.  I always had my checking on autopay which gives the discount but would always pay with CC before the deduction from my checking.  I got hit with additional charges on this month's bill for non compliance...lol.

VZ.JPG

Is that for 2 lines?

I did noticed that I stopped getting a credit of $5 as of March 2019, but I definitely have NOT been getting a non-compliance fee as of today.

On a related note, I was going to try to switch to my Paypal Business Debit card. If that works, than overall it becomes 11% off of my bill versus 5% USBank+.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 12 of 33
OmarR
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It's been awful watching the decline of Verizon over the decades (been with them since they were AirTouch Cellular) and how much greed has taken over this company. 

How have they declined, in your opinion?

Message 13 of 33
OmarR
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
If your trying to “play the system “ this bad 💁‍♂️ Maybe you need to think of what you actually can afford. The trying to please others “ who you probably don’t even like/care about isn’t worth it!

I'm going to rework my budget to avoid dumpster hopping for food.  Thank you for the sound financial advice.

Since this could be my last post due to internet affordability issues, I would recommend looking up the difference between your/you're.

Ok, that was funny.

Message 14 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MakingProgress wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They absolutely closed the loophole recently.  I always had my checking on autopay which gives the discount but would always pay with CC before the deduction from my checking.  I got hit with additional charges on this month's bill for non compliance...lol.

VZ.JPG

Is that in addition to not getting the discount?

I only have 1 line and that was the addition to my new bill this month for non compliance from last month's bill..  $5 for non auto pay and $5 for paying with a credit card.  

I was saving $120 per year by leaving autopay on with the checking account and would get rewards with the CC by paying early and having no balance before autopay withdraws.  So all in all, with the CC rewards and auto pay loophole I was getting about $180 per year in savings.  Great while it lasted but it sounds like too many people caught on Smiley Tongue  

Message 15 of 33
iced
Valued Contributor

@OmarR wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How have they declined, in your opinion?

My guess is because they like to squeeze a few extra dollars out of us rather than the other way around. I for one appreciate the irony of a post that lambasts a company for being greedy in response to closing a loophole that let the consumer be greedy. 

Message 16 of 33
Felony_Phil
Established Contributor

Autopay is only worth $5 a month to an individual. 'Reduced to the Ridiculous' and that's only 16 cents a day to the consumer but it's worth millions to the carrier.
Message 17 of 33
Duke_Nukem
Established Contributor

@Felony_Phil wrote:
Autopay is only worth $5 a month to an individual. 'Reduced to the Ridiculous' and that's only 16 cents a day to the consumer but it's worth millions to the carrier.

It is a $25 / month loss for me (5 lines).  I guess others could care less about losing $25 / month.

Message 18 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Felony_Phil wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They were never AirTouch Cellular.  The absorbed AirTouch just like they absorbed Cellular One and Alltel among several other carriers throughout the years. Every carrier has their good and bad.  Verizon puts more money into their network than any other carrier.  They've  done some off-the-wall stuff that made zero sense to us but obviously it effects them somehow. I'm not going to get upset with any person or company that is trying to put themselves in a better financial position, after all Verizon is in business to make money.  

I have the Auto-pay feature and I'm wondering what ill effects I'll see next billing cycle which will be on the 10th of August.

AirTouch Cellular disappeared and became Verizon.  I've had the same cellular service since 1994 along with the same phone number.  Hence ATC became Verizon Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 33
Felony_Phil
Established Contributor

My plan just renewed and I still get the $5/ month discount for autopay. Soooo it may be that it's no longer available to new lines opened after a certain date.
Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.